Back to: News
July 18, 2012
Follow News

County Cops

Deputies received a call about a fight at a Minturn home on June 26 and went to investigate.

When they arrived, they saw a 53-year-old man who walked around to the back of the house as soon as he saw them. The deputies followed him and saw him throw some items into the back of a vehicle.

The officers asked the man about the reported disturbance. He said he just had a verbal fight with his father and it was nothing physical. The father confirmed that was the case.

However, the officers could easily see what looked like marijuana paraphernalia in the back seat of the car. The 53-year-old man admitted that's what the items were. He was cited for possession of less than 2 ounces of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia.

A deputy stopped a car on U.S. Highway 6 in Eagle-Vail on July 1 after the driver failed to dim his bright headlights for oncoming traffic.

The 22-year-old appeared to be under the influence of alcohol and admitted that he had two beers earlier. He also did not have a driver license.

He agreed to perform voluntary roadside tests and failed. He was arrested for further investigation of driving under the influence of alcohol and chose a breath test. The breath test was not substantial enough to charge him for DUI, so he was only cited for driving without a license and released into the custody of a sober friend.

The owner of a house in Wolcott told deputies his property was vandalized. "No Trespassing" signs were damaged and circuit breakers to some water pumps had been shut off, which could have damaged the pumps.

The 63-year-old man listed several suspects, including fishermen who no longer have access to the property, a landscaping company he recently settled a lawsuit with, or an employee he recently fired. The man said he'll be setting up motion-sensor cameras around the area and only wanted the incident to be documented.

Deputies responded to several complaints about animal cruelty at an Eagle-Vail residence on July 1.

Neighbors said a dog had been left on a second-story deck since the previous day and had been barking the whole time. The dog's owner hadn't been seen or heard from in almost 24 hours and people were throwing food onto the deck for the dog.

An officer scaled a ladder to investigate the situation further. The dog looked to be a malamute. There was no shelter for it and there was not an adequate water supply. Feces and urine covered the deck and it appeared that the animal had nearly chewed through some of the deck's wooden bars. The deputy noted that the temperature was already 87 degrees in the shade that morning and was concerned about the animal's well-being.

The owner was unable to be reached. She wasn't answering her phone and her voicemail was not set up to leave a message. Eagle County Animal Services and the Humane Society were contacted to take possession of the dog after deputies took it into protective custody with help from the fire department. A note was left for the dog's owner.

The 42-year-old woman who owned the dog called back later that day and an officer went to her apartment. She was cited for animal cruelty and told that she could get the dog back after paying a $450 bond. She told the officer he could "keep the little bitch" and that dogs are supposed to be outside. The officer said animals shouldn't be outside for such a long time without shelter and proper food and water.

On July 2, the assistant manager of an Edwards apartment complex told deputies that a boot was placed on a blue pickup truck on June 28 and now the vehicle and boot were gone.

The boot was intended to immobilize the car until a $100 fine was paid for a parking violation.

The assistant manager said she suspected the truck belonged to a resident. The deputy eventually succeeded in contacting the 30-year-old man.

The man said he was responsible. He said he discovered the boot as he was going to work on June 28. He didn't want to be late, so he cut the boot off with a skill saw. He welded it back together later with the intention of giving it back to the apartment complex office. He said he knew he made a big mistake and agreed to pay for the $500 boot and $100 parking fine by the end of the day.

On July 2, an Edwards couple reported that a bear entered and damaged their home while they were on vacation.

It appeared the bear came in through the kitchen window above the sink. Food was scattered all over the house and a large pile of bear scat was in the middle of the kitchen. The home's irrigation system was also leaking into the crawl space, where there was four inches of standing water.

The couple said they needed more time to come up with a cost estimate for the damage.

A deputy was patrolling Edwards late July 4 when she saw people sitting in a car in the community center parking lot.

The officer contacted them and recognized the 18-year-old man sitting in the passenger seat. She'd had multiple contacts with him. The man said she also knew his 19-year-old girlfriend, who was in the driver seat, from a previous contact.

The deputy asked what they were doing. The man said they were just talking. Other officers arrived and asked if there were any weapons in the car. The man said he had an AK 47 he recently purchased in the back seat.

Officers asked if they could search the vehicle and the man agreed. He handed over the gun and a marijuana pipe he said was his cousin's. He was cited for possession of drug paraphernalia.

Stories you may be interested in

The VailDaily Updated Jul 18, 2012 01:15PM Published Jul 18, 2012 01:12PM Copyright 2012 The VailDaily. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.