Back to: News
August 8, 2012
Follow News

County cops

Deputies responded to a fight between three women at Gypsum's Second Street Park on July 12.

When they arrived, they saw two women pacing around with blood on them. The 21-year-old had blood on her face and was intoxicated. The 19-year-old had blood on her hands.

A 27-year-old woman was lying on the ground with blood on her face and seemed immobile due to a leg injury. She was also drunk and was taken away in an ambulance as deputies interviewed the other women.

The 21-year-old said she was walking by the 27-year-old to meet her 19-year-old friend when the 27-year-old called out, "Hey, baby girl." The 21-year-old said she put her arm around the older woman to calm her down and then walked away. The 27-year-old jumped on her back and started hitting her.

The 19-year-old said she tried to get the woman off her friend and had to hit her to do so.

When asked how she knew the older woman, the 21-year-old said the 27-year-old slept with her husband, who was now her ex-husband.

Officers interviewed the 27-year-old the next day. The woman said she didn't know who the 21-year-old was. Deputies told her the woman said she had slept with her husband and then the 27-year-old remembered her. She said that was a year ago, and recalled the woman making threats about fighting her.

She said the incident started when she left a laptop on the picnic table at the park for a minute and returned to see the 21-year-old yelling in her direction. The 21-year-old threw the computer on the ground and then attacked her.

Neither side of the story could be entirely confirmed. Officers cited all three women with disorderly conduct.

Deputies were escorting a heavily intoxicated woman from the Gypsum Daze concert July 21 when they were confronted by a 20-year-old man.

The man tried to pull the woman away from the officers, who restrained him. The man kicked at the deputies and continued to resist their orders until they wrestled him into handcuffs. He was cited for disorderly conduct along with the woman.

Deputies responded to a fight at a Red Cliff bar on July 14.

They contacted a 31-year-old man at the scene. The man was with his girlfriend. He had a bruise on his face and a cut lip. He said his 34-year-old friend hit him after he confronted him about having an affair with his girlfriend.

Officers contacted the 34-year-old, who denied hitting the 31-year-old. He said the man and his girlfriend were having relationship problems so she stayed at his place for a couple days. He said the fight broke out between the 31-year-old and an unknown man at the bar. He was trying to break up the scuffle and it was the unknown man who hit his friend.

The 31-year-old's girlfriend said she had been at his mother's house and came to the bar to pick him up.

The bartender wasn't able to confirm anyone's story. No one wanted to press charges. Deputies took custody of a pistol for safe keeping over the weekend.

A deputy stopped a car for speeding on westbound Interstate 70 in Eagle on July 17 and smelled marijuana when he contacted the driver.

The 30-year-old man said one of his friends in Denver might have smoked marijuana in the car but he didn't have any. There were several bags filled with buffalo hides among lots of trash in the car. The man said he was on his way from South Dakota, where he bought the hides, to Las Vegas. He used the hides for artwork that he sold in Las Vegas.

The officer verified that the bags were indeed full of hides. However, he told the man he would still be searching the car due to the strong smell of marijuana. A plastic bag of the drug was found under the driver's seat.

The man said his friends must have left it there without him knowing and asked to just be cited for speeding. He was cited for possession of less than 2 ounces of marijuana and warned for speeding. He was also instructed to stop at a Colorado Parks and Wildlife office in Canyon Creek to have the buffalo hides checked since there was no record of their legal purchase.

A deputy was almost side-swiped by a car that turned right off a roundabout from an inside lane in Avon on July 20.

The deputy stopped the 24-year-old driver and asked if he saw him on the outside lane as he exited the roundabout. The man said no.

It was discovered the man didn't have a driver license. He was cited for driving without a license and careless driving.

A man called deputies when he arrived at his mother's house on N. Brett Trail in Edwards and found a 36-year-old stranger passed out on the couch in the living room.

There were several empty wine bottles and other containers around the couch and scattered around the house. The man had spilled wine down the front of his white T-shirt. The man was also barefoot.

The caretaker told him to get out. The man said he was doing work at the house but eventually complied and left.

Deputies quickly received another call from a home nearby. The man had tried to enter a house that belonged to his ex-girlfriend, who identified him for the officers. The man was caught in Vail the next day.

The woman who lived in the first house was out of town. She said there wasn't any work being done there at the time. Earlier in the year she gave a different man the code for the garage door so he could do work. The code hadn't been changed since then.

The woman said she would get back to deputies with an estimate for the cost of cleaning the stained carpet and the beverages that were consumed.

Stories you may be interested in

The VailDaily Updated Aug 8, 2012 01:09PM Published Aug 8, 2012 01:07PM Copyright 2012 The VailDaily. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.