Administrator and board members at Stone Creek Charter School (SCCS) have been busy with open houses pertaining to the opening of an additional Gypsum campus.
The enthusiasm regarding our school is evident. We are excited about serving families in eastern and western Eagle County. For the benefit of new families and the community, a brief overview of SCCS is provided.
• SCCS was founded in 2006. It is the only independent public charter school in Eagle County.
• Our school is governed by a board of directors consisting of nine members elected by the school community (six are parents).
• Campuses serving kindergarten through eighth grade are located in Edwards and Gypsum. For 2012-2013, class sizes will not exceed 20 students.
• SCCS welcomes all students. Programs are provided that enhance learning (special education, gifted programs, English second language).
• Enrichment classes include art, PE and technology.
• Our lunch program is offered at least two days per week.
• An afterschool program is available Monday through Friday.
SCCS has been very successful in its academic performance since inception. In 2008 and 2011, SCCS was awarded the John Irwin Award for Excellence for middle school. Each year the school has some of the highest student achievement scores in the county and state. Since opening, schoolwide reading and math scores have exceeded 80 percent in proficient/advanced.
We hope this information has cleared misconceptions and answered questions regarding SCCS. Additional questions can be answered by calling 970-569-3327. We understand parents have a choice in education. If you entrust us with the education of your children, we assure you that we appreciate it and take it seriously. SCCS believes every child has within himself or herself the possibility for greatness, which will be nurtured through a learning environment that is provocative, stimulating, interactive, inspirational, thought-provoking, challenging and bold.