Back to: News
October 3, 2012
Follow News

Eagle cops

On Sept. 17 Eagle Police responded to a report that two elementary-age boys were missing.

The boys' mother called police at 6:45 p.m. to report that her sons - ages 7 years and 9 years - had not come home after school. She told the officer that the boys had wandered off from their grandmother's house at around 3 p.m. The mother became concerned after she checked at several of her boys' friends' homes and couldn't locate her children.

Police interviewed the grandmother and canvassed The Bluffs neighborhood and the area around Eagle Valley Elementary. Officers requested assistance from the Greater Eagle Fire Department, and firefighters expanded the search to all the parks around town. A deputy from the Eagle County Sheriff's Office was called in to search the park at Red Canyon Townhomes/Eagle Villas.

Eventually, an Eagle officer located the boys at the elementary school and brought them home. The youths said they had been playing at the home of a new friend. The officer told the boys they needed to check in with adults about their whereabouts in the future.

Eagle Police responded to a report of a fight in progress in downtown Eagle Sept. 20.

When officers arrived, they found two men walking southbound on Broadway. Both men told the same story: They are brothers and they had been hunting in the mountains for the last several days. They both reported that the whole time they were in the woods, they had been getting on each other's nerves. The brothers decided to come down to Eagle for dinner and a few beers and they began arguing. Eventually one of the brothers challenged the other to hit him. His brother complied, slugging him in the face and breaking his glasses. The police report noted one brother had a laceration above his left eye and the other had a cut on one of his knuckles.

Ambulance district personnel examined the brother with the face laceration and recommended he get stitches. He did not want to pursue criminal charges against his brother. Both men agreed to separate for the night and said they planned to leave town in the morning.

Eagle Police were called to a local fast food parking lot at 11:15 p.m. Sept. 24 when the manager reported a possible medical emergency.

The manager told the officer that for more than 45 minutes, a running vehicle with its lights on had been parked at the site. When the manager knocked on the vehicle window to contact the driver, the sole person inside appeared to be sleeping but he didn't wake up.

The officer approached the vehicle and could see the man moving around inside. The man then opened the door and swung out his legs. The officer reported marijuana and alcohol odors drifted out from the vehicle.

The officer noted the man had bloodshot and glassy eyes, but he said he was OK when she asked if he needed medical help. The officer asked the man where he was headed, because he seemed to be disoriented. The driver responded that he was just waking up and then he planned to drive to Denver. Then he said he had been in Denver that day for training. He was also confused about which day of the week it was.

Eventually the man said he had been at a friend's house in Eagle and he had been drinking and smoking marijuana at the residence. He also added that he had been camping had just gotten back into town. He said he pulled into the parking lot because he didn't think he should be driving. The man was able to produce a license, vehicle registration and proof of insurance, but he was uncoordinated and dropped the items several times.

After he declined a request to perform a roadside test, the man was taken into custody without incident. The officer found a marijuana pipe in his right front pocket and a bag of marijuana and an empty can of beer in the vehicle.

At the county jail, the man agreed to perform a breath test and the result showed a blood alcohol count of .179, more than twice the legal limit for DUI.

He was cited for DUI, possession of less than two ounces of marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of an open container of alcohol. He was released to the custody of a family member.

• A business owner on Broadway contacted Eagle Police last month after someone spray-painted the northwest side of his building with a frowning stick figure. The vandalism occurred sometime during the evening or early morning hours of Sept. 12. The estimated cost of repair is $200.

• On Sept. 14, Eagle Police found someone had used black spray paint to paint an obscene picture on the back of the stop sign located at the intersection of Grand Ave. and Broadway.

Stories you may be interested in

The VailDaily Updated Oct 3, 2012 01:15PM Published Oct 3, 2012 01:13PM Copyright 2012 The VailDaily. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.