You have one last chance to break out your alter ego. Halloween is Wednesday, and while there have been a slew of crazy costume parties up and down the valley the past week or so, there are still plenty of ways, and places, to celebrate on Wednesday. From a new local band called NOTUS performing at Main St. Grill in Edwards, to the MTHDS, a band that was birthed here and has since moved on to big city climes (they're rocking at Montanas in Avon), there's lots of live music to be had. And for the shorter kids, the Vail library hosts a spooky, Halloween themed story hour before the annual Trick-or-Treat Trot brings a parade of mini Darth Vaders and Batmans, pirates and pumpkins, down the streets of Vail and Lionshead. Happy Halloween!
For the big kids
• Electronic duo Thick Chick plays Samana in Vail Village tonight. This is the second year in a row the duo performs at Samana on Halloween. Electronica music fusion act Dark Fire - DJ Mo:Rockin with Kymatica on guitar - will open the show beginning at 9 p.m. Thick Chick will go on at 11 p.m. The first 15 people in the door are free. Tickets are $10 at the door. Visit www.samanalounge.com to learn more.
• Johnny Mogambo plays Route 6 Cafe in Eagle-Vail. The show starts at 9 p.m. Best costume walks with $300. Call 970-949-6393.
•-The MTHDS annual Halloween concert is at Montana's in Avon this year. The music gets going at 10 p.m. The $10 cover gets you access to the concert as well as the costume party, with best costumes getting $1,000 in cash and prizes. Grand prize goes to the best overall costume, but there are also prizes for sexiest, funniest and most original. Downstairs, enjoy karaoke with Sandman starting at 9 p.m. Call 970-949-7019.
• New local band NOTUS plays Main St. Grill in Edwards. Pronounced "Not Us," the acronym stands for None Of The Usual Suspects. The band is comprised of four local musicians - Shawn McKeown on drums, Conan Chrisman on bass, Fred Fernandez on guitar and Justin Ernest on guitar. The goal is simple - to make people dance using their blend of funk, groove and rock. The party begins at 10 p.m. and there's no cover charge. Call 970-926-2729.
• DJ Jah Stone plays Loaded Joe's in Avon starting at 9 p.m. Costume contest with $50 for best male and female costumes. Call 970-949-1480.
• E-Town in Edwards hosts a Halloween party with DJ Carve spinning beginning at 10 p.m. Prizes for best costumes and drink specials. No cover. It's also bartender Signe Jones last night, so stop in and wish her well. Call 970-926-4080.
Old Kentucky Tavern is hosting its inaugural Halloween Hawaiian Luau, where everyone will get lei'd. Enjoy live music by Joe Walsh from 8 to 10 p.m. There will be a $500 prize basket for the best costume, and other fun giveaways. There's drink specials and a Hawaiian-themed buffet with specialties like Lomi Lomi salmon, sweet potato poi and teriyaki beef and chicken. Call 970-328-5259.
For the little kids
• The town of Vail Public Library hosts a special spooky and fun story time at 1 p.m. today to kick off the Halloween Trick or Treat Trot through town. Pre-Kindergarten age children and younger are invited for this special story time adventure. Before the Trick-or-Treat Trot, come to the Town of Vail Public Library for spooky-fun story time from 1 to 2 p.m.. Wear your costumes and be ready for stories, dancing and sing along. For more information, call the library at 970-479-2187.
• The annual Trick-or-Treat Trot throughout Vail Village and Lionshead will take place from 2 to 5 p.m. today. Children are invited to trick-or-treat the businesses in both villages. Families can enjoy an afternoon of Halloween activities for infants through 10-year-olds (and their parents). Parade through the streets of Vail Village and Lionshead to show off your creative costume. Visit the dozens of local merchants handing out candy, and participate in fun contests. Call 970-479-2292.