Daily staff report
newsroom@vaildaily.com
Vail, CO Colorado

Back to: News
November 24, 2012
Follow News

Candle starts fire in Minturn

MINTURN, Colorado - An unattended candle started a fire in Minturn on Wednesday night, firefighters said.

At 11:20 p.m., Eagle River Fire Protection District was dispatched to a reported structure fire in a single-family home.

Upon arrival, firefighters from Minturn Engine 5 found heavy smoke coming from the front door and two occupants standing outside the house. The firefighters were able to advance into the structure through heavy smoke and confine the fire to the bedroom. The bedroom windows to the exterior had broken out from heat prior to the arrival of the first unit, and fire was rapidly developing in the home.

The fire was controlled within 30 minutes of arrival and declared out within one hour. Both occupants of the home escaped without injury.

"Due to the quick arrival of the Minturn Engine, firefighters were able to mostly confine the fire to the bedroom, preventing it from extending into the attic," said Battalion Chief Todd Marty. "Fires that extend into the attic present great control problems, and the outcome would have been far worse for all involved."

The occupants were able to stay with neighbors for the night. The fire cause has been ruled accidental as a result of an unattended candle. One firefighter was transported from the scene with minor injuries.


Explore Related Articles

The VailDaily Updated Nov 24, 2012 10:29PM Published Nov 24, 2012 10:28PM Copyright 2012 The VailDaily. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.