AVON, Colorado - The Forest Service and Vail Resorts will host an open house from 6-8 p.m. Wednesday at the Avon Public Library.-
The White River National Forest is seeking public input on a proposal from Vail Mountain that was submitted after the passage of the Ski Area Recreational Opportunity Enhancement Act of 2011.
Proposed activities include:
• Educational and interpretive opportunities.
• A zip-line canopy tour into Game Creek Bowl.
• A front side zip-line canopy tour.
• An elevated, fixed-rail Forest Flyer at Adventure Ridge.
• An elevated, fixed-rail Pride Express Forest Flyer.
• Rappeling at Adventure Ridge.
• Expanded hiking and mountain bike trails and a modified horse trail.
• A Family Forest Park at Adventure Ridge including aerial ropes challenges.
• Observation decks and towers at Adventure Ridge and Wildwood.
• A reconfigured Talon's Deck and barbeque area at Eagles Nest.
• A wedding deck at The 10th.
An environmental impact statement will evaluate the possible environmental effects of Vail Resort's proposal.
"Since the passage of the Act, the White River National Forest has been working closely with our ski industry partners to move forward consideration of ideas that will enhance our visitor's ability to better connect to and enjoy their public lands while at the same time creating opportunities to strengthen the economy of our local communities," said Scott Fitzwilliams, forest supervisor for the White River National Forest.
"The public input part of this process is key to making sure we understand and consider the community's concerns regarding this proposal."-
Initial public comments are sought by Dec. 31.
Comments should be sent to: Scott Fitzwilliams, Forest Supervisor, c/o. Don Dressler, Winter Sports Administrator, White River National Forest, PO Box 190 Minturn, CO 81645 or email@example.com.
Complete project information may be found at www.vailreceis.info.-