Colorado author Dagny McKinley brings her story "The Adventures of a Girl & Her Dog" to The Bookworm of Edward's weekly toddler story time on Monday at 9:15 a.m.The book was recently published, and focuses on girls' independence and exploration in nature. "My goal was for girls to feel just as at home in nature as men and boys do," McKinley said. "For some reason, many of the women I know today are afraid to spend a night alone in nature. For me, nature often feels like the safest place to be. Spending time alone in nature builds self-confidence and allows us to explore all the sides of ourselves on our own terms."The story is a whimsical tale the author hopes will resonate with adults as much as children. Getting dirty, laughing and letting loose are all things we should make part of our daily lives, she says.McKinley has an master's of fine arts from Naropa University and is the author of three other books: "Wild Hearts: Dog Sledding the Rockies," "Lessons My Mother Taught Me: The Good, the Bad and the Questionable" and "The Wandering Rose." McKinley has been published in numerous magazines and newspapers.
- Vail Daily obituary: Scott Joseph Lamothe
- Highway 24 to remain closed through the night as rock slide cleanup continues
- Ski Club Vail moving forward with new Vail clubhouse
- Byron and Vi Brown were instrumental in building up the Vail community and Ski Club Vail
- On the Hill: Mudslide now open at Vail