Colorado author Dagny McKinley brings her story "The Adventures of a Girl & Her Dog" to The Bookworm of Edward's weekly toddler story time on Monday at 9:15 a.m.The book was recently published, and focuses on girls' independence and exploration in nature. "My goal was for girls to feel just as at home in nature as men and boys do," McKinley said. "For some reason, many of the women I know today are afraid to spend a night alone in nature. For me, nature often feels like the safest place to be. Spending time alone in nature builds self-confidence and allows us to explore all the sides of ourselves on our own terms."The story is a whimsical tale the author hopes will resonate with adults as much as children. Getting dirty, laughing and letting loose are all things we should make part of our daily lives, she says.McKinley has an master's of fine arts from Naropa University and is the author of three other books: "Wild Hearts: Dog Sledding the Rockies," "Lessons My Mother Taught Me: The Good, the Bad and the Questionable" and "The Wandering Rose." McKinley has been published in numerous magazines and newspapers.
- Vail to open with 540 acres Friday, including gondolas, Chairs 2, 3 and 4
- Vail powder forecast: A foot of snow expected Saturday-Monday
- Ski, snowboard season kicks off in Vail
- Edwards siblings both finalists in Uncle Ben’s cooking contest
- Leadville’s St. Vincent Hospital to shut down after 135 years