Colorado author Dagny McKinley brings her story "The Adventures of a Girl & Her Dog" to The Bookworm of Edward's weekly toddler story time on Monday at 9:15 a.m.The book was recently published, and focuses on girls' independence and exploration in nature. "My goal was for girls to feel just as at home in nature as men and boys do," McKinley said. "For some reason, many of the women I know today are afraid to spend a night alone in nature. For me, nature often feels like the safest place to be. Spending time alone in nature builds self-confidence and allows us to explore all the sides of ourselves on our own terms."The story is a whimsical tale the author hopes will resonate with adults as much as children. Getting dirty, laughing and letting loose are all things we should make part of our daily lives, she says.McKinley has an master's of fine arts from Naropa University and is the author of three other books: "Wild Hearts: Dog Sledding the Rockies," "Lessons My Mother Taught Me: The Good, the Bad and the Questionable" and "The Wandering Rose." McKinley has been published in numerous magazines and newspapers.
- High altitude fashion: Prep for your Vail poolside debut
- Woman who admitted stealing from teens wants to wait to begin her one-year jail sentence
- Aspen's Boogie's Diner closes, suit filed over commission
- Backcountry skiers taking advantage of the stable spring snowpack
- If it quacks like a Duck Pond, it's open space