Special to the Daily
obituaries@vaildaily.com
Vail, CO Colorado

Back to: News
February 8, 2013
Follow News

Bacterial pneumonia caused Vail man's death, coroner says

EAGLE COUNTY, Colorado - A longtime Vail local died of bacterial pneumonia, not the flu, said the Eagle County coroner.

Benjamin John Matthews, 33, of Eagle-Vail, died Monday in his home.

Following an autopsy, Kara Bettis, Eagle County coroner, determined that bacterial pneumonia caused the death.

Friends said he had been sick for several days.

A memorial service will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday at the Vail Marriott Mountain Resort. The address is 715 West Lionshead Circle in Vail. There will be a memorial in Lincoln with dates and time to be announced.

Matthews was Nov. 4, 1979, to John and Diana Matthews, in Loma Linda, Calif. He graduated from Lincoln Southeast High School in 1998 and from the University of Southwest Missouri State University with a B.S. in cartographic sciences, magna cum laude, in 2002.

After college, Ben lived in Kansas City, Mo.; Washington, D.C.; Waikiki, Hawaii; and Denver before coming to Vail.

Ben is survived by his mother, Diana; his father, John; as well as four siblings: Nic and Nate, of Vail, and Desiree and Tyler, of Lincoln, Neb.


Explore Related Articles

Trending in: News

The VailDaily Updated Feb 8, 2013 06:44PM Published Feb 8, 2013 06:43PM Copyright 2013 The VailDaily. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.