Back to: News
March 6, 2013
Follow News

County Cops

On March 2, the Vail Public Safety Communications Center advised Eagle County Sheriff deputies of a domestic dispute on U.S. Highway 131. A female caller stated that she was thrown out of the car, a "few miles" north of Wolcott. She also advised that the man in the car was heading northbound on Highway 131. The couple's two children were in the car with him.

The Vail Public Safety Communications Center then received a phone call from the man. He advised them that he had a firearm in the vehicle. He also informed them that he had unloaded it and had no intention of using it. He said he wanted to have a deputy meet him at his residence in Yampa since deputies were unable to contact him within Eagle County. The officers requested assistance from the Routt County Sheriff's Office.

The Routt County Sheriff's Office made contact with the suspect in Yampa and arrested him. The children were unharmed and placed under the protected care of the Routt County Sheriff's Office until their mother was reunited with them.

Dax Crowley, age 28, was transported and booked into the Eagle County Detention Facility on two counts of child abuse, a Class 2 misdemeanor, reckless endangerment, a Class 3 misdemeanor, third degree assault, a Class 1 misdemeanor, and domestic violence.

A man called deputies Feb. 12 and said his 20-year-old daughter was missing after she had a fight with her husband.

Officers interviewed people who knew the woman and determined she left her apartment to get away from her husband while he was drunk. She did not have a cell phone and no one knew exactly where she went.

While the deputies talked to the husband, who still exhibited signs of intoxication, he became agitated and acted in a threatening manner. He was arrested for menacing and obstructing a police officer.

Deputies eventually got in touch with the woman, who said she and her son were OK and had not been harmed by her husband.

A deputy stopped a car for speeding in Eagle-Vail Feb. 12.

The officer immediately noticed that the 55-year-old man appeared to be intoxicated. His eyes were bloodshot and watery, and his breath smelled heavily of alcohol.

The man denied that he'd been drinking. The deputy asked if he was sure, since he smelled alcohol. Then the man said he had a beer with dinner.

The officer asked the man to get out of the car and saw a bottle of peppermint schnapps inside the vehicle. The man agreed to perform voluntary roadside sobriety tests but stopped partway through, refusing to finish. He refused a chemical test as well and his license was automatically confiscated for a year.

The man was jailed for driving under the influence of alcohol and speeding.

A deputy stopped a truck in Gypsum on Feb. 13 when he saw that the windows were tinted too darkly. The officer also recognized the 20-year-old driver from several previous contacts.

The officer measured the window tint and confirmed it was tinted illegally. He saw the driver talking on the phone and asked him why he was making the call. The man said he told his parents he was going to jail because he didn't have a driver license, which had been revoked for a DUI in 2010.

The deputy confirmed the man's status and arrested the teen for driving under restraint, driving without insurance and illegally tinted windows.

A deputy stopped a truck in Eagle for defective license plate lamps on Feb. 14.

The 28-year-old driver smelled of alcohol and said he was going home after playing music in Vail. He agreed to perform voluntary roadside sobriety tests and failed.

The man was arrested for further investigation of DUI. His music equipment was loaded into the cab of the truck and locked. The female passenger was given a ride home.

The officer told the man that he suspected him of being on drugs and he would be required to take a blood test or automatically lose his license for one year. The man had been agreeable to a breath test but refused the blood test several times.

He was cited for driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol or both, and for the defective tail light, then released to a sober person.

On Feb. 16, a man called deputies from Vail Mountain and said his iPhone worth $500 was stolen that morning.

He said he must have dropped it near the bus stop in Eagle-Vail where someone picked it up. He activated his phone's tracking device and monitored the phone through the day as it traveled all over Avon.

The deputy started tracking the phone and followed it to a restaurant, where the tracking signal was lost, implying the phone had been turned off. Two vans belonging to the same cleaning company were parked outside the restaurant. Another deputy said she saw one of the vans stopped in the road that morning and it looked like the driver was picking up something.

The officers contacted the two van drivers and both denied having the stolen phone. After more intense questioning, one of the men said he had the phone and didn't know why he denied it earlier. The deputy said an honest person would have turned it in without skipping a beat. The 44-year-old man was arrested for theft.

Stories you may be interested in

The VailDaily Updated Mar 6, 2013 01:05PM Published Mar 6, 2013 01:02PM Copyright 2013 The VailDaily. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.