Back to: News
March 27, 2013
Follow News

Eagle cops

The aggressive behavior of a rental car driver drew complaints by other motorists and a general dispatch alert for downvalley law enforcement March 6.

The Eagle officer responding to the call was traveling southbound when he spotted the suspect vehicle driving northbound along Eby Creek Road around 1:45 p.m. The driver failed to turn at the right-turn lane on Chambers, kicking up gravel and dirt as he proceed north toward the Interstate 70 interchange.

The officer turned around to follow the vehicle but was unable to spot the car until he reached Wolcott. He noted dirt and dust being thrown in the air from the left side of the vehicle as it swerved to the left shoulder of I-70 and watched as the driver swerved back and forth from the left lane to the right lane.

The vehicle continued to pull away, reaching speeds of 91 mph. At various times, the driver passed other vehicles and nearly collided with one slower moving car.

The Eagle officer and a deputy from the Eagle County Sheriff's Office caught up with the car at Edwards and pulled over the driver. When they approached the driver, they saw he had blood on his nose and several bandages on his forehead. Under the bandages, a large lump was visible.

The driver told the officers he had flown into the Eagle County airport and rented the vehicle. He said there was an issue with the car's steering and the vehicle was pulling to the right. When asked about his excessive speed, the driver said he thought other cars were passing him.

The man told the officers that while he was picking up his luggage at the airport, he fell forward and slammed his forehead on a wall. He said he blacked out as a result of the fall, but that he did not seek any medical treatment. He complained that he had a severe headache.

Noting that the driver showed no signs of impairment due to alcohol or drugs, the officers called for an ambulance. The driver was transported to the hospital.

When the rental car company was contacted, employees said the man had been acting strange while waiting for his vehicle. The employees were advised to be more proactive in refusing to rent cars to customers if they had concerns about their behavior.

Eagle Police were called to the railroad bridge across Eby Creek Road in Eagle March 16 after motorists reported a pair of juveniles throwing rocks at vehicles as they traveled under the structure.

While on the way to the site, the Eagle officer saw two boys matching the report's description. As he got closer, he spotted them crouching behind a banner tied to the bridge.

The officer parked his car and hiked up the hill to speak to the juveniles. He called them over and asked their names and inquired about what they were doing. The boys said they enjoyed hanging out at the bridge.

The youths denied throwing rocks. They said they probably were walking too close to the edge and the rocks fell as they passed.

The officer informed the boys they were trespassing because the bridge property is owned by the railroad. He told them he would be calling their parents to tell them they were not allowed on the site.

Eagle Police responded to a local residence when a woman reported that her child's power wheel electric toy was stolen.

She said she had last seen the toy vehicle the previous day, parked beneath the stairs at her residence. The toy vehicle is blue with red flames and it is valued at $300.

After a search of the area, the officer was unable to locate the toy. He called the woman the next day to report that his search was unsuccessful and the woman said that her husband was able to find it, but she had not called because of the late hour. She said other children had moved the toy vehicle and left it where they had been playing.

An Eagle man reported a missing iPhone after he had visited a local business March 17.

The man's phone fell out of his pocket while at the business, but he did not realize it was missing until the next morning. He activated his Find My Phone GPS tracking and saw that the device was still at the business. He planned to drop by an pick it up later in the day, but around 10:30 he noted that the tracking signal was moving away from the business. Eventually the signal stopped at a nearby housing complex.

The man contacted the business owner and learned that a cleaning company had been at the site that morning. When contacted, the cleaning company owner offered to assist the man to see if a member of his crew had taken the phone, noting it was company policy to turn in any items found.

An Eagle Police officer accompanied the man to the housing complex to local the missing phone using the GPS tracking. They were able to get a clear fix on the phone's location. The cleaning company owner contacted police to give them the name of the employee who had cleaned the business the morning the phone went missing.

The officer learned the employee resided at the housing complex where the phone was taken. He contacted the suspect at her work and told her the reason for his visit. After initially denying that she knew anything about the phone she said her 11-month-old son was feeling ill so she brought him with her to work the previous day. She said maybe he had found the phone and brought it home.

The woman then admitted she found the phone and said she didn't turn it in because she thought it was broken. When the officer took her to her home, she retrieved the phone. When asked about its case, she said the phone didn't have a case when she found it.

She was cited for petty theft and the owner was contacted. He noted that the phone was missing its black case and its SIM card. The case has an estimated value of $40 and the card value was estimated at $30.

Stories you may be interested in

The VailDaily Updated Mar 27, 2013 01:22PM Published Mar 27, 2013 01:20PM Copyright 2013 The VailDaily. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.