EAGLE COUNTY, Colorado - The Eagle County Democratic Party, through its 15-member Vacancy Committee, is now accepting applications for the position of Eagle County commissioner for District 2.
Jon Stavney, current commissioner for this district, has resigned effective July 1 to take the position of Eagle town manager. Under Colorado state statutes, the Vacancy Committee is responsible for selecting a new county commissioner within 10 days of the resignation of a sitting commissioner.
In order to apply for the position, potential candidates must be 18 years old, must be registered as a Democrat as of the 2012 election, and must prove continuous residency in District 2 since July 1, 2012. Specific information on cistrict boundaries is available through the county clerk, who can be reached at 970-328-8710.
Applicants meeting the qualifications are required to submit the following:
• Cover letter expressing interest in the position. Candidates are encouraged to review the Eagle County Democratic Party Platform at www.eagledems.org.
• Resume with contact information.
• Up to four letters of reference, including phone and email of reference (limited to one page each).
• Background check completed through ADP Screening, paid for by the candidate. The background check results do not have to be sent with the initial application packet, but proof of ordering the background check must be submitted. The website address is www.adpselect.com. Candidates will be the "client" when ordering the background check.
The deadline for applications is 5 p.m. on May 10. Applications should be signed and dated on each page (electronic signature acceptable), and sent to email@example.com and a hardcopy should be mailed to Eagle County Democratic Vacancy Committee, PO Box 4562, Eagle, Colorado 81631.
All application materials will be available for public review, through the Eagle County Democratic Party website, www.eagledems.org.
The selection process will take place as follows:
• May 29, 6:30 p.m., Eagle County Building: Review application packets
• June 5, 6:30 p.m., Eagle County Building: Interview candidates (up to 10 candidates will be interviewed). If 10 or fewer candidates apply, finalists will be selected on June 5.
• June 12, 6:30 p.m., Eagle County Annex, El Jebel: If more than 10 candidates apply, the group will be split in half and the second half interviewed on June 12. If more than 10 candidates apply, finalists will be selected on June 12. If 10 or fewer apply, finalists will have been selected on June 5 and the finalist interviews will be conducted on June 12.
• June 19, 6:30 p.m., Eagle County Building: If more than 10 candidates apply and finalists are selected on June 12, final interviews will be conducted on June 19.
Voting and selection of the county commissioner for District 2 by the Vacancy Committee will take place on June 12 (if finalists are selected on June 5), or on June 19 (if finalists are selected on June 12). The term for the new commissioner begins July 1.
All interviews will be open to the public, including all candidates (although public input is only gathered through the website, email, and/or written and delivered through U.S. Mail).
Each interview will be 20 minutes and will consist of the following:
• Five-minute statement/presentation from candidate.
• Review of answers to standard questions (these will be sent to candidates in advance; written responses will be requested for review by the committee).
• Follow-up questions from Vacancy Committee members.
Vacancy Committee members expect that members of the public will want to be involved in the selection and/or promotion of candidates. Public input regarding suggested qualities and skills of the commissioner, or letters of reference about particular candidates, may be emailed directly to firstname.lastname@example.org or sent to the Eagle County Democratic Vacancy Committee, P.O. Box 4562, Eagle, CO 81631.
Candidates are encouraged to check back often to www.eagledems.org for updated information. Questions can be addressed to email@example.com.