VAIL, Colorado - No one was hurt, but a home was damaged in a late-night chimney fire Tuesday morning in West Vail.At approximately 1:15 a.m., Vail Fire & Emergency Services was dispatched to 2915 Basingdale Blvd. in the Intermountain neighborhood, where a structure fire was reported. Vail Fire responded with two engines and a ladder truck. A full first alarm assignment was requested, bringing in one additional engine and a battalion chief from Eagle River Fire Protection District. Upon arrival, firefighters encountered light smoke originating from a fire in the chimney chase in a second-floor bedroom.The occupant of the bedroom reported that he was awakened by the sound of crackling and saw flames extending up the wall. He was able to utilize a handheld dry chemical extinguisher to partially control the fire. Firefighters were able to fully extinguish the fire using a water extinguisher.Investigators were able to determine that the fire originated in a chimney chase, potentially from the chimney flue of a wood burning stove contacting the wood framing of the chase.Fire and smoke damage was limited primarily to the second floor bedroom and the living room where the wood burning stove was located. Damage is estimated at $5,000.The three occupants of the single family residence were displaced for the night. No injuries were reported to either the building occupants or firefighters.For more information, call Fire Marshal Mike Vaughan at 970-479-2252.
Chimney fire damages Vail home
Trending in: News
- Vail-Summit surgeons lead medical mission trip to Rwanda
- Avon, Eagle look to maintain new trails
- The Westin announces Mikaela Shiffrin has become its ‘Resident Gold Medalist’
- Vail Daily health feature: Essential oils offer a healing remedy from an earlier era
- New law makes it more difficult for pharmaceutical, medical companies to host resort conferences