A tractor-trailer rig carrying frozen food on westbound Interstate 70 Thursday afternoon caught fire, engulfing the trailer in flames and temporarily closing the highway in both directions due to heavy smoke. Vail Fire Department Lt. Jim Rabidue said the rig’s brakes overheated, sparking a fire in the trailer. The driver was able to stop the rig and separate the truck from the trailer, which was a total loss. Rabidue said there were no injuries, and no fuel spilled from the truck, but westbound traffic was backed up for some time due to the fire.
Photo: Truck fire on Vail Pass
Trending in: Entertainment
- Get your vinyl at Record Store Day in Minturn
- Think pink: Rose is in bloom
- Check out the snow show in West Vail
- Larkspur Restaurant discontinues its nightly dinner service
- MartyParty brings a new dynamic to electronic dance music