A tractor-trailer rig carrying frozen food on westbound Interstate 70 Thursday afternoon caught fire, engulfing the trailer in flames and temporarily closing the highway in both directions due to heavy smoke. Vail Fire Department Lt. Jim Rabidue said the rig’s brakes overheated, sparking a fire in the trailer. The driver was able to stop the rig and separate the truck from the trailer, which was a total loss. Rabidue said there were no injuries, and no fuel spilled from the truck, but westbound traffic was backed up for some time due to the fire.
Photo: Truck fire on Vail Pass
Trending in: Entertainment
- Vail Relationships column: Readers talk about the effects of cellphone and social media addiction
- Concert series helping Leadville buy, restore the legendary Tabor Opera House
- Just the Facts column: Hidden in plain sight: Colorado's prairie
- Vail Valley Scenery column: Samantha Harris speaks at annual Celebration of Life luncheon