A tractor-trailer rig carrying frozen food on westbound Interstate 70 Thursday afternoon caught fire, engulfing the trailer in flames and temporarily closing the highway in both directions due to heavy smoke. Vail Fire Department Lt. Jim Rabidue said the rig’s brakes overheated, sparking a fire in the trailer. The driver was able to stop the rig and separate the truck from the trailer, which was a total loss. Rabidue said there were no injuries, and no fuel spilled from the truck, but westbound traffic was backed up for some time due to the fire.
Photo: Truck fire on Vail Pass
Trending in: Entertainment
- High Altitude Society column: Youth Foundation’s Star Dancing Gala shines
- Artist David Jackson returns to Beaver Creek
- Famed pianist Marcia Ball returns to Lionshead Thursday for Jazz at Vail Square
- Dover Quartet plays free show in Vail Thursday
- Country Music Project two-steps into Eagle Town Park Thursday