A tractor-trailer rig carrying frozen food on westbound Interstate 70 Thursday afternoon caught fire, engulfing the trailer in flames and temporarily closing the highway in both directions due to heavy smoke. Vail Fire Department Lt. Jim Rabidue said the rig’s brakes overheated, sparking a fire in the trailer. The driver was able to stop the rig and separate the truck from the trailer, which was a total loss. Rabidue said there were no injuries, and no fuel spilled from the truck, but westbound traffic was backed up for some time due to the fire.
Photo: Truck fire on Vail Pass
Trending in: Entertainment
- Avon restaurant celebrates pinot noir this week with pair of events
- Living with Vitality column: The benefits of body weight exercises
- Tasting traditional Spanish fare at Vail’s Sonnenalp Hotel
- Manor Vail Lodge set to host Bourbon and Barbecue event on Aug. 30
- Maya in Avon hosts tequila tasting and dinner on Friday