Eagle County Library District hosts Local Author Expo in Eagle, Dec. 1
November 30, 2016
If you go …
What: Second-annual Local Author Expo.
When: 5 to 8 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 1.
Where: Holy Cross Community Room, Eagle Public Library, 600 Broadway St., Eagle.
Cost: Free; books available for purchase.
More information: Call 970-328-8800.
EAGLE — The Eagle Valley Library District will present the second annual Local Author Expo at the Eagle Public Library today from 5 to 8 p.m. in the Holy Cross Community Room.
Mingle with friends, meet authors, purchase a book for a gift or bring a book for signing. There will also be a silent auction benefiting the Eagle County Historical Society: A large, professional canvas print of historical Eagle Valley will be on the auction block.
The Local Author Expo will kick off with hors d'oeuvres and refreshments. Book sales will be featured on-site throughout the event, and the authors will be available for book signing.
This event is free and open to the public and provides an opportunity for local writers and readers to connect with one another over the appreciation of the written word.
• Richard Perske, author of "Boomtown to Ghost Town: The Story of Fulford" — Perske and the Eagle County Historical Society received Honorable Mention for the Josephine H. Miles Award from History Colorado. Perske's interest-turned-book is full of facts and figures from the mining ghost town of Fulford.
• John Horan-Kates, author of "The Making of a Community: The Vail Way" — Horan-Kates is a valley local who recognizes the effort it takes to build a town from scratch. With more than 40 years of leadership experience, Horan-Kates tackles what makes Vail the town it is and the extraordinary story of making something from nothing.
• Duane Ziegler, author of "JimJim and the Jelly Bean Journey" — Ziegler is a local first-time children's author, and his book, the story of a mouse and his family who live near Sylvan Lake, is a hit with kids throughout the valley and illustrated by Vari Reichardt.
• Laurel McHargue — Fresh from her Silver EVVY Award from Colorado Independent Publishers' Association, McHargue will present "Haikus Can Amuse!," a fun tool for parents and teachers to integrate creative writing prompts.
• Stephanie Sorenson, author of "Toru: The Wayfarer Returns" — Young adult fiction writer Sorenson is new to the local author scene with. Her first title of an upcoming trilogy, released in February, imagines an alternate history of 1850s samurai-era Japan.
• Sweetwater Community Club — Using recipes, history and membership information dating back to the 1930s, the Sweetwater Community Club self-published a new recipe book filled to the brim with treats, sweets, dinners, appetizers — you name it.
• Kathy Heicher and Eagle County Historical Society — Heicher and the Eagle County Historical Society are well established throughout the area for their continual research, history and never-ending knowledge of the Eagle Valley.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Activities & Events
- Vail Valley Foundation announces free concert lineup for Vail and Eagle
- Vail Daily guest column: Dog rescued from shelter now saves humans’ lives
- ‘No evidence’ as judge drops pot charge against Eagle county surveyor
- Activewear company Liquido ticketed, faces fines for Hanging Lake conduct
- Vail Daily editorial: Proposed smartphone ban is extreme nanny-ism