Two Turkey Trots taking place Thursday around Eagle County
November 24, 2014
Two Turkey trots on Thursday
• Eagle-Vail Turkey Trot ($10) starts at 9:30 a.m. and benefits The Youth Foundation and the Eric Spry Memorial Scholarship Fund.
• Brush Creek Elementary Turkey Trot ($20 or $50 per family of four) starts at 9 a.m. at Brush Creek Elementary School in Gypsum and ends at The Dusty Boot in Eagle.
EAGLE COUNTY — With the average Thanksgiving Day meal logging in at roughly 3,000 calories, it's no wonder some people opt to try to burn a few hundred and get their metabolism revved before the glut.
You know you're not going to feel like it after, when the tryptophan-laden coma has set in, so do your body a favor and check out one of these two 5K fun runs taking place in Eagle County on Thursday morning before you tuck in to the turkey.
The Vail Valley Foundation's eighth annual Turkey Trot returns to Eagle-Vail, drawing locals and second homeowners together to support The Youth Foundation.
"We are proud to support the Youth Foundation as the title sponsor of this year's Turkey Trot," said Michael Slevin, president of Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Colorado Properties. "The Youth Foundation partners with Eagle County Schools to provide over 3,800 local children with focused early childhood education, after-school, summer and scholarship programs that support and inspire success. Their concentrated interventions provide each child with over 250 contact hours that produce significant results and equip students to reach their highest potential."
The event will also raise money to support the Eric Spry Memorial Scholarship Fund, established in memory of local runner and Battle Mountain High School graduate Eric Spry, who was the winner of the inaugural Turkey Trot. Kids and dogs are welcome, as are costumes.
Participants can register for the 5K family fun run and walk online at vvf.org or Thanksgiving morning starting at 8:30 a.m. at the Eagle-Vail pool. The event starts at 9:30 a.m. and is $10. The first 500 registrants will receive a Turkey Trot T-shirt the day of the race. Visit http://www.vvf.org to learn more.
The Brush Creek Elementary Turkey Trot, also a 5K walk/run taking place Thursday, begins at 9 a.m. at Brush Creek Elementary School in Gypsum, located at 333 Eagle Ranch Road. The route runs from the start line at the school and ends at the Dusty Boot. Cost is $20 per person or $50 per family of four, with a $10 charge for each additional family members. For registration forms, volunteer opportunities, sponsorship opportunities and raffle prizes, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
High Life Editor Caramie Schnell can be reached at email@example.com and 970-748-2984.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Activities & Events
- Vail Valley Foundation announces free concert lineup for Vail and Eagle
- Vail Daily guest column: Dog rescued from shelter now saves humans’ lives
- ‘No evidence’ as judge drops pot charge against Eagle county surveyor
- Activewear company Liquido ticketed, faces fines for Hanging Lake conduct
- Vail Daily editorial: Proposed smartphone ban is extreme nanny-ism