Vail knows how to rock
Ryan Summerlin June 7, 2013
If you go ...
- What: Anders Osborne
- Where: Checkpoint Charlie, Vail.
- When: 7 p.m. Saturday.
- Cost: Free.
- More information: Visit www.mountaingames.com.
VAIL — Anders Osborne was born in Sweden and at 16 he became a wandering troubadour, playing music through Europe, Israel and North Africa. He has traveled the world, hitchhiking around Europe, North Africa, Southeast Asia and the Middle East. He eventually landed in New York City and hitched a ride to New Orleans with $5 in his pocket.
“Once I got to New Orleans, everything I heard in my head — the music, the way people treated each other — was happening. I knew I was home,” he told the Vail Daily in an interview last time he was in town.
Osborne returns to Vail today for a free show at the GoPro Mountain Games. The music starts at 7 p.m. Osborne is currently celebrating the release of his new EP, “Three Free Amigos,” so attendees will likely hear songs from the EP.
Osborne took the time to answer a few questions for the Vail Daily.
1. Vail Daily: Who would you cite as your musical influences when you first started your career?
Anders Osborne: Robert Johnson, Bob Dylan, Little Feat, Ry Cooder, Neil Young, Ray Charles, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Charlie Parker, Cannonball Adderley, Van Morrison, Joni Mitchell, etc.
2. VD: How would you describe your music to someone who will be seeing you for the first time?
AO: Bold, passionate, sweet, sexy and full of words, solos, grooves, occasional arrangements and love.
3. VD: Vail is lucky to welcome you back after you opened for Gov’t Mule last fall. How will this performance differ and what new music can we expect?
AO: We will do our best to be fresh and give Vail something they can enjoy.
4. VD: Is there a favorite song or highlight of Saturday’s show we should expect?
AO: All the tracks should be great. That’s the goal.
5. VD: Besides the Ford Amphitheater performance with Gov’t Mule, we’ve hosted you at the Vilar Performing Arts Center. What’s your favorite type of venue to perform in and why?
AO: The band and I appreciate all types of venues. They all present their fair share of excitement and challenges.
6. VD: In addition to concerts, the Mountain Games host competitions from kayaking to climbing. Do you plan to check out the games while you’re here?
AO: I will take a nap as soon as I get there. We are traveling straight from New Orleans. But if I get up in time to check some of it out, I will be stoked!
7. VD: When can we expect you back in Vail after Saturday? Any future dates scheduled in the area?
AO: Not for the moment, but I am looking forward to us returning soon. Vail has a beautiful population that knows how to rock!