Wolcott Yacht Club hosts state’s premier salsa band
August 30, 2013
If You Go
What: Salsa with Conjunto Colores.
Where: Wolcott Yacht Club.
When: 5-9 p.m., Saturday.
Cost: $10 cover.
Information: The Wolcott Yacht Club is hosting a 10-piece salsa band.
Colorado's original salsa and Latin jazz band is making a trip to the mountains when Conjunto Colores plays Saturday at the Wolcott Yacht Club.
Conjunto Colores is one of the few bands that specializes in "salsa dura" (hard salsa), which emphasizes strong percussion and horns over vocals.
Francisco Mejias has been the band leader since 1996. The band has released five CDs and performs regularly at top salsa clubs in the U.S. and abroad, including La Rumba, D-Note, Blue Ice, Mercury Café, Oskar Blues, and Shine club in Boulder.
Conjunto Colores has opened for such bands as the Tito Puente Orquestra, Sonora Poncena, Bob James, Willie Colon, and Ruben Blades, among others. They have appeared at festivals all over Colorado, and shared the stage with Arturo Sandoval and Diane Schuur at Red Rocks Amphitheater.
During Mejias musical career he has played with the late great Dizzy Gillespie, Randy Westin, Claire Fisher, Gato Barbieri, Carmen Jimenez, Eddie Santiago, and Tito Nieves. For more information on the band, visit http://www.conjuntocolores.net.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Activities & Events
- Vail Valley Foundation announces free concert lineup for Vail and Eagle
- Vail Daily guest column: Dog rescued from shelter now saves humans’ lives
- ‘No evidence’ as judge drops pot charge against Eagle county surveyor
- Activewear company Liquido ticketed, faces fines for Hanging Lake conduct
- Vail Daily editorial: Proposed smartphone ban is extreme nanny-ism