Vail gas leak forces evacuation

Update: The leak has been repaired as of 11:45 p.m. Wednesday night, according to Vail Fire.

VAIL — Approximately 600 hotel guests and residents were evacuated Wednesday thanks to a gas leak on West Lionshead Circle in Lionshead Village.

Construction workers in the area accidentally hit an underground pipe, causing a natural gas leak that was visible from the street level. The leak was reported around 3:30 p.m. Vail Fire Chief Mark Miller said crews were on scene immediately to evacuate people from nearby buildings, which included the Ritz-Carlton Residences, Vail Marriott and Vail Spa. Xcel Energy was on scene with excavation equipment in order to repair the leak. The gas leak is on West Lionshead Circle off the South Frontage Road. Power and gas was shut off at the Ritz-Carlton, but there were no injuries.

As of 5 p.m. on Wednesday, the South Frontage Road remained closed between East Lionshead Circle and Forest Road.


Explore Related Articles

Trending in: Activities & Events

Trending Sitewide

The VailDaily Updated Aug 7, 2014 09:22AM Published Aug 6, 2014 06:11PM Copyright 2014 The VailDaily. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.