A tractor-trailer rig carrying frozen food on westbound Interstate 70 Thursday afternoon caught fire, engulfing the trailer in flames and temporarily closing the highway in both directions due to heavy smoke. Vail Fire Department Lt. Jim Rabidue said the rig’s brakes overheated, sparking a fire in the trailer. The driver was able to stop the rig and separate the truck from the trailer, which was a total loss. Rabidue said there were no injuries, and no fuel spilled from the truck, but westbound traffic was backed up for some time due to the fire.
- Vail Daily obituary: Thomas Stevens Atkinson, 1963-2015
- Beaver Creek hosts live music, barbecue during annual Blues, Brews & BBQ fest
- Road trip: Spend three days in Colorado's southern foothills
- Winners of Bookworm of Edwards' children's writing contest announced
- Campout for the Cause ushers in the season with modern folk music, yoga and SUP