A tractor-trailer rig carrying frozen food on westbound Interstate 70 Thursday afternoon caught fire, engulfing the trailer in flames and temporarily closing the highway in both directions due to heavy smoke. Vail Fire Department Lt. Jim Rabidue said the rig’s brakes overheated, sparking a fire in the trailer. The driver was able to stop the rig and separate the truck from the trailer, which was a total loss. Rabidue said there were no injuries, and no fuel spilled from the truck, but westbound traffic was backed up for some time due to the fire.
Photo: Truck fire on Vail Pass
Trending in: Activities & Events
- Try 40 types of pinot noir at wine tasting in Vail Saturday
- Vail artist Carrie Fell created ‘Hang Time’ for the World Ski Championships
- Decimo returns for six nights in Vail this winter
- Top Books at the bookworm of Edwards
- New underground dinner series kicks off Oct. 6 in Avon