A tractor-trailer rig carrying frozen food on westbound Interstate 70 Thursday afternoon caught fire, engulfing the trailer in flames and temporarily closing the highway in both directions due to heavy smoke. Vail Fire Department Lt. Jim Rabidue said the rig’s brakes overheated, sparking a fire in the trailer. The driver was able to stop the rig and separate the truck from the trailer, which was a total loss. Rabidue said there were no injuries, and no fuel spilled from the truck, but westbound traffic was backed up for some time due to the fire.
Photo: Truck fire on Vail Pass
Trending in: Activities & Events
- Shook Twins return to Vail for Shakedown Bar show Friday
- Knox Gallery in Beaver Creek hosts husband-wife artist duo
- Celebrate National IPA Day with live music and more at Crazy Mountain Brewery in Edwards
- Ambassadors of dance converge in Vail
- Vail Dance Fest Photo: Pennsylvania Ballet performs at ‘UpClose: Jewels’