A tractor-trailer rig carrying frozen food on westbound Interstate 70 Thursday afternoon caught fire, engulfing the trailer in flames and temporarily closing the highway in both directions due to heavy smoke. Vail Fire Department Lt. Jim Rabidue said the rig’s brakes overheated, sparking a fire in the trailer. The driver was able to stop the rig and separate the truck from the trailer, which was a total loss. Rabidue said there were no injuries, and no fuel spilled from the truck, but westbound traffic was backed up for some time due to the fire.
Photo: Truck fire on Vail Pass
Trending in: FoodDrink
- Breast cancer researcher and author Dr. Susan Love to speak at Vail luncheon Friday
- Vail's new bar, The Remedy, serves elevated comfort food in a modern space
- Sharing warmth with Nepal quake victims
- On the Hill: Turf tubing is now up on Vail Mountain, and it's fast
- Festivals an essential part of Vail summer