A tractor-trailer rig carrying frozen food on westbound Interstate 70 Thursday afternoon caught fire, engulfing the trailer in flames and temporarily closing the highway in both directions due to heavy smoke. Vail Fire Department Lt. Jim Rabidue said the rig’s brakes overheated, sparking a fire in the trailer. The driver was able to stop the rig and separate the truck from the trailer, which was a total loss. Rabidue said there were no injuries, and no fuel spilled from the truck, but westbound traffic was backed up for some time due to the fire.
Photo: Truck fire on Vail Pass
Trending in: FoodDrink
- Tasting traditional Spanish fare at Vail’s Sonnenalp Hotel
- .Maya Modern Mexican Kitchen: A tequileria with terrific flavors and style
- Colorful Cooking: Dive into pork tacos with fresh peach salsa
- Manor Vail Lodge set to host Bourbon and Barbecue event on Aug. 30
- Small plates and big flavors at The Osprey Lounge