New York Philharmonic features debuts, farewells at Bravo! Vail residency
July 17, 2017
IF YOU GO …
What: New York Philharmonic concerts on July 22 and July 23 — July 22: Mozart and Symphony Fantastique; July 23: Trifonov Plays Chopin.
When: July 22 and July 23, 6 p.m.
Where: Gerald R. Ford Amphitheater, Vail.
Cost: Lawn tickets $28, child lawn tickets $5; pavilion seats: $44-$119.
More information: Visit http://www.bravovail.org or call 877-812-5700.
VAIL — Bravo! Vail announces two new programs for the opening weekend of New York Philharmonic on Saturday and Sunday.
Audiences are in for a fortuitous thrill as two tremendously talented artists unexpectedly make their Bravo! Vail debuts and Music Director Alan Gilbert adds an additional program to his historic farewell season.
On Saturday, Concertmaster Frank Huang makes his Vail concerto debut in Mozart's delightful "Turkish" Concerto. Huang was hired as concertmaster by Gilbert and joined the orchestra in September 2015. The Mozart concerto will be followed by Berlioz's passionately inspired Symphonie Fantastique.
On Sunday, Gramophone's 2016 Artist of the Year Daniil Trifonov will also make his Bravo! Vail debut performing Chopin's Piano Concerto No. 1.
This endlessly inventive work, with its rich ornamentation and elegant grandeur, is a fitting opening for Schumann's masterfully transcendent Symphony No. 2.
New York Residency
Gilbert will conduct both programs, following the withdrawal (due to a family emergency) of violinist and conductor Leonidas Kavakos.
The New York Philharmonic returns to Bravo! Vail, celebrating its 30th season, for the orchestra's 15th annual summer residency, Friday through July 28.
The residency will include six orchestral concerts that honor the Philharmonic's legacy on the occasion of its 175th anniversary season and the conclusion of Gilbert's tenure as music director. In his final appearances at Bravo! Vail as Philharmonic music director, Gilbert will conduct five programs (Saturday, Sunday and July 26 through July 28), including a world premiere by Julia Adolphe and Bramwell Tovey will conduct an all-American program on Friday.
For ticket information, visit bravovail.org or call 877-812-5700.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Entertainment
- At Tommy Zima’s you’re not in Gypsum anymore
- From Sea Level column: Vail Daily intern learning “Vail time”
- Drive-in movies in Minturn: Guide to attending summer films
- Dogs of Vail: This town has gone to the dogs — from hotels to bars, dogs are welcome
- Peter Frampton rocks out at Vilar Performing Arts Center
- Minturn man gets 20 to 40 years in prison for shooting at cops during robbery
- Vail Daily letter: Add more parking? Reduce the speed limit?
- Florida man busted in pair of Eagle County carfentanil overdose deaths
- Breaking: Interstate 70 eastbound near Dowd Junction reopened
- Colorado’s fourth 14er death of 2017 renews drive to educate hikers of risks