EAGLE COUNTY — Laboratory test results from patients who fell ill earlier this week while attending a conference in Vail indicate norovirus was the cause. Seven people were treated and released from the Vail Valley Medical Center in the early morning of April 29 with symptoms including vomiting, diarrhea and dehydration. Additional participants reported similar symptoms after returning home.
Approximately 2,000 students were in the area for the annual Colorado Future Business Leaders of America conference, which ended Tuesday. While the original source may never be determined, state and local health officials say it is likely a previously infected person traveled to the conference, spreading the highly contagious virus among other attendees.
For more information on norovirus, visit www.cdc.gov/norovirus.