AVON — Don’t try this at home.
An Avon man was arrested Sunday evening after an attempt to make “hash oil” led to a minor explosion in his apartment. There were no injuries.
Avon Police Chief Robert Ticer said the explosion at the Lift View Apartments prompted a neighbor to call 911, bringing both the police and fire department. The apartment suffered minor damage, and the man was charged with fourth degree arson and reckless endangerment.
Ticer noted that the man was not charged Sunday with any drug-related offenses. That will be left to the local district attorney’s office, he said. Ticer said there’s a “gray area” in the law about making marijuana distillates such as hash oil, which is why his department refers those cases to prosecutors.
A popular method of distilling marijuana into more potent forms uses butane, a liquid petroleum product commonly found in disposable lighters. There have been several explosions and fires reported in the Denver area during the past couple of months, and Ticer said he knows of at least one similar incident in the Grand Junction area.
While there’s all kinds of Internet information about making hash oil — a YouTube search of “how to make hash oil with butane” yielded 8,730 results — Ticer reminded people that butane is highly volatile, and can be dangerous if not handled properly.