Randy Wyrick

Follow Me

Back to: News
May 18, 2013
Follow News

Do good, LOOK good

VAIL — This ain’t your momma’s fashion show — “Project Funway” may be one of history’s best-looking benefits.

The second annual Project Funway is based on television’s “Project Runway” and features aspiring local designers. It’s a benefit for the Education Foundation of Eagle County, a local nonprofit raising money to help offset some of the school district’s budget cuts.

“Even with all the fantastic fundraisers in this county, we realized there was still room to do something different,” said Claire Thayer, one of the event organizers. “So, Project Funway was conceived, and last year’s success blew us away.”

First, you enjoy a cocktail or possibly two. Then, models strut along the elevated runway, strutting for the crowd and a panel of local celebrity judges.

There are two categories this year: “Absolutely Fabulous,” featuring Paris runway-style creations, and the evening’s real draw, the “Anything but Cloth” category.

In the latter, designers can work with any medium but fabric, as the name would lead you to believe. Last year featured dresses made out of everything ranging from flower pots to bubble wrap, fresh flowers to Nordic skis, bicycle tubes to milk jugs.

“People really seem to have fun with it — designing, modeling or just attending. You can make it a night out with your girlfriends, or have a date night with your fashion-forward man; either way, come out to support the cause,” Thayer said.

In addition to the show, the show will have pop-for-prizes balloons with gift certificates from local businesses. For those who consider shopping a spiritual gift, there will be an upscale designer consignment shop.

The Education Foundation of Eagle County is a 501(c)3 organization that raises funds to offset some of the budget cuts the Eagle County School District has experienced during the past several years.

The organization has been around in various forms for years as a fundraising tool for special events associated with local schools. It shifted gears a couple of years ago after Eagle County voters shot down a proposed property tax increase.

Now, the foundation raises money to help offset staff cuts in schools, said Diane Scherr with the foundation.

Donations can target one school and 90 percent of that money goes to that school, where the principal will decide how it’s used. The other 10 percent goes to the school district’s general fund — the checkbook the school district uses for its day-to-day business.

Staff Writer Randy Wyrick can be reached at 970-748-2935, and rwyrick@vaildaily.com

Stories you may be interested in

The VailDaily Updated May 18, 2013 11:00AM Published May 19, 2013 01:12PM Copyright 2013 The VailDaily. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.