STEAMBOAT SPRINGS — The USA Pro Challenge heads south to the Eagle Valley today as the cyclists race more than 102 miles from Steamboat Springs to Beaver Creek.
Drivers can anticipate closures or traffic slowing along the following three state highways (closure times are approximate):
• U.S. 40 eastbound & westbound through Steamboat Springs between Mount Werner Road and 13th Street/County Road 33 – closed 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
• State Highway 131 northbound from Wolcott to Oak Creek will be closed at various locations from noon to 3 p.m. as race proceeds south. Delays up to 60 minutes.
• State Highway 131 southbound from Oak Creek to Wolcott will remain open to traffic during this time. However, drivers using this route will be following the race and traveling slower than normal. Expect delays.
• U.S. 6 eastbound from Wolcott to Avon will be closed from 1:30 p.m. to 4 p.m.
• U.S. 6 westbound Avon to Edwards will be closed from 1:30 p.m. to 4 p.m.
To avoid the race, the Colorado Department of Transportation suggests motorists use I-70, U.S. 40 and SH 9.
The times for delays and closures are estimates only and may be subject to change depending on the pace of the riders, weather, and other unforeseen circumstances.
In addition to the state highways, other impacted roadways include Routt County Roads 33 and 27, and Village Road in Beaver Creek.
Over the next four days, USAPC traveler information will be available at the CDOT website: www.cotrip.org/content/usapcc/.
For real-time information related to highway impacts, motorists are encouraged to sign up for CDOT’s email and text alerts, available at www.coloradodot.info by clicking on the green cell phone icon.
Friday’s highway impacts:
August 23/Stage 5/Vail Pass Individual Time Trial: U.S. 6 in Vail (Frontage Road), Interstate 70 westbound Vail Pass (right lane closed). Impacts begin at 10 a.m. and end by approximately 4 p.m.