A tractor-trailer rig carrying frozen food on westbound Interstate 70 Thursday afternoon caught fire, engulfing the trailer in flames and temporarily closing the highway in both directions due to heavy smoke. Vail Fire Department Lt. Jim Rabidue said the rig’s brakes overheated, sparking a fire in the trailer. The driver was able to stop the rig and separate the truck from the trailer, which was a total loss. Rabidue said there were no injuries, and no fuel spilled from the truck, but westbound traffic was backed up for some time due to the fire.
- Westin Riverfront Run With a View 5K free walk/run scheduled for June 1
- 2A championship game turns into a coronation
- Local chef Kelly Liken to open Harvest By Kelly Liken in Singletree in June
- Fire destroys cabin, crane at Dotsero construction site
- Eagle County Health Service District boss is retiring