A tractor-trailer rig carrying frozen food on westbound Interstate 70 Thursday afternoon caught fire, engulfing the trailer in flames and temporarily closing the highway in both directions due to heavy smoke. Vail Fire Department Lt. Jim Rabidue said the rig’s brakes overheated, sparking a fire in the trailer. The driver was able to stop the rig and separate the truck from the trailer, which was a total loss. Rabidue said there were no injuries, and no fuel spilled from the truck, but westbound traffic was backed up for some time due to the fire.
Photo: Truck fire on Vail Pass
Trending in: Announcements
- 10 epic day hikes
- Local siblings competing for more national triathlon titles
- Abandoned wreckage of two Jeeps near Crystal irks Forest Service
- Outlaws & Legends Music Festival comes to Nottingham Park in Avon, July 29-30
- Vail Valley Cares holds its annual grant awards breakfast, giving $300,000 to 34 local nonprofit groups