A tractor-trailer rig carrying frozen food on westbound Interstate 70 Thursday afternoon caught fire, engulfing the trailer in flames and temporarily closing the highway in both directions due to heavy smoke. Vail Fire Department Lt. Jim Rabidue said the rig’s brakes overheated, sparking a fire in the trailer. The driver was able to stop the rig and separate the truck from the trailer, which was a total loss. Rabidue said there were no injuries, and no fuel spilled from the truck, but westbound traffic was backed up for some time due to the fire.
Photo: Truck fire on Vail Pass
Trending in: Announcements
- New membership manager joins Vail Valley Partnership
- Galer joins Alpine Resort Real Estate
- Mountain resorts may post summer occupancy records
- Anne Frank’s step-sister to speak in Vail on Wednesday
- Vail to review Timber Ridge agreement