Rubber Duck Race deemed a successful event by Rotary
January 8, 2014
VAIL — On Sept. 1, The Vail Rotary Club held the 15th annual Rubber Duck Race through Vail Village. Thousands of people watched from shore and some in the water as more than 10,000 ducks made their way down Gore Creek. The success of this annual event will make a big splash in the community.
Money raised from this event will benefit both local and international Rotary projects:
• Scholarships for high school graduates.
• Children's Health Initiative for the uninsured.
• Maintenance for Julia's deck on Shrine Pass.
• Dictionaries to all third-graders.
• Vail Rotary Career Fair at Battle Mountain High School.
• Support for Eagle Valley Senior Life.
• Incoming and out going students on International Youth Exchange.
• Water projects in Mexico.
• International dental missions.
• Many Eagle County charitable organizations.
• Projects sponsored by Duck Race partner organizations.
Hundreds of volunteers from the Vail Rotary, Edwards Rotary, Eagle Rotary, and selling organizations put in thousands of hours to support and corral the ducks for the event.
Thanks go to the generous sponsors who helped support this Vail Rotary event, including 1st Bank, Alpine Bank, KZYR, TV8, Vail Daily, Vail Farmers Market, Vail Valley Dental and the Vail Valley Medical Center.
The Squash Blossom Vail and The Cogswell Gallery donated $2,000 from their daily sales to the race.
Nearly 50 local people, organizations, merchants and businesses donated prizes to support the event.
Diana Meehan, a Vail Rotary member, past president and the Duck Race Chair, organized the event.
Rotary is an organization of business and professional leaders who provide humanitarian service and help to build goodwill and peace in the world. There are 1.2 million Rotary members in 34,000 Rotary clubs in more than 200 countries and geographical areas. Rotary clubs have been serving communities worldwide for more than a century. The first Rotary club was founded in Chicago in 1905. For more information, visit http://www.rotary.org.
Trending In: Announcements
- Eagle boarder cited for unlawful acts in case of dog killed by mountain lion
- Eagle, homeowner team up on grant request to tear down Broadway house
- American Airlines will have daily air service from Dallas to Eagle County
- Alleged internet predator arrested, jailed for sex with 13-year-old girl
- Vail Mountain School commencement embraces future, as well as past