Avon man sentenced to two years in sex assault case | VailDaily.com

Avon man sentenced to two years in sex assault case

EAGLE – An Avon man insists he did nothing wrong, but pleaded guilty to unlawful sexual contact instead of facing a trial.

Allan Sinai Ortiz-Barraloga, 27, was arrested in a Silverthorne car wash after police tracked him down through his cell phone location.

District Court Judge Fred Gannett sentenced him to two years in state prison Thursday morning. Ortiz-Barraloga has no previous criminal record.

He is in the country illegally and will be deported by Immigration and Customs Enforcement when his prison sentence is finished.

He was charged with forcing his former girlfriend into a car with him by threatening her children. She said he hit and sexually harassed her.

“He repeatedly sexually assaulted her and threatened her children. She finally got away and called police,” said prosecutor Braden Angel. “It’s a level of violence I have rarely seen come before this court.”

Ortiz-Barraloga continued to say he did nothing wrong, but took the deal rather than gamble on a trial, said his attorney, public defender Reed Owens.

“Does he want to risk the rest of his life at the hands of 12 or 13 people, or does he want to get this settled?” Owens asked. “There’s another side to this story. He was truthful with his interviewers about the facts of the case.”

He has been in jail seven months, and Gannett reduced his two-year prison sentence by that amount.

“I have a little girl and I haven’t been able to help, and I’d like to help her,” Ortiz-Barraloga told Gannett.

If he had been convicted on all his original charges, he could have been sentenced up to 30 years in prison and $1.5 million in fines.

According to the arrest warrant, Barraloga showed up at his former girlfriend’s house in Avon the night of Dec. 16, 2011, saying he wanted to talk. When she refused to get in the car with him, he threatened to hurt her kids, she told police.

She said he had frequently threatened to kill her or hurt one of her children if he was ever put in jail or deported.

The woman got in the car and Barraloga reportedly began insulting, punching and touching her, she told police. Barraloga drove up Buck Creek Road in Avon, where he stopped the car and sexually harassed, threatened and hit the woman. She told police he broke her phone when she tried to use it, and that she finally ran away when she screamed at a passing car to stop and help her.

When police found him, he gave them an altered Honduran passport with a different name, but eventually admitted his true identity.