Denver man held in Flat Tops stabbing
June 13, 2014
EAGLE COUNTY — Ryan Cordova, 30, of Denver, was being held Friday on a $5,000 bond in connection with a stabbing incident Tuesday on the Flat Tops.
According to an arrest affidavit from the Garfield County Sheriff's Department, Cordova had been camping near Coffee Pot Road with Melissa Orozco, 38, since June 7. Orozco reportedly defined her relationship with Cordova as "friends with benefits," and told police the pair had come out to "detox," but had been drinking on the day of the incident.
Orozco's testimony in the affidavit reports she had fallen asleep in her vehicle and woke around 3 p.m. to find Cordova poking her with a knife. When the situation escalated, Cordova allegedly stabbed Orozco in the right leg.
Orozco then reportedly fled to a neighboring campsite while Cordova left in her car. The campers helped contact police and drove Orozco down to meet an ambulance. On their way, they passed Orozco's car wrecked by the side of the road.
The vehicle was later impounded as evidence, and a 3-inch Buck Knife was also recovered.
Eagle County deputies located Cordova around 6 a.m. Wednesday. He was later transferred to Garfield County Jail. Preliminary charges include second-degree assault and harassment, which will likely be treated as domestic violence for the purposes of sentencing.
Trending In: Crime
- Teen driver in Carbondale wreck arrested on DUI, vehicular homicide
- Police believe they know who killed Greeley’s 12-year-old Kayleah Wilson
- Breckenridge’s Blue Stag to serve suspension over employee cocaine bust
- Ritz Bachelor Gulch owner opts to fight felony charges
- Co-owner of Ritz Bachelor Gulch facing four felonies
- Eagle boarder cited for unlawful acts in case of dog killed by mountain lion
- Vail Mountain School commencement embraces future, as well as past
- Real estate options in Wildridge offer privacy, open space and value (video)
- ‘We’ll be racy’: Vail’s Buddy Lazier is running his 20th Indianapolis 500
- New Eagle City Market compiles positive comments, sales tax numbers