I-70 chase yields 4 arrests
May 8, 2014
EAGLE COUNTY — A Wednesday morning chase from the bottom to the top of Vail Pass on Interstate 70 resulted in four arrests and the recovery of a car stolen in Denver a few days ago.
According to Colorado State Patrol Trooper Josh Lewis, a patrol officer Wednesday morning spotted the car making an "erratic" lane change as it was headed up the eastbound side of Vail Pass at about mile marker 181, about four miles east of the East Vail exit. The officer also noticed the car had an "obscured" license plate. When the officer tried to pull over the car, a 2006 Chrysler 300, the driver sped up in an effort to get away. Lewis said efforts to stop the car going up the pass were unsuccessful.
Since traffic was light, another trooper at the top of Vail Pass — about mile marker 190 — was able to lay "stop sticks" across the road. The sticks flattened the tires of the Chrysler and it was forced to stop. Further investigation revealed that the Chrysler had been carjacked at gunpoint in Denver several days ago.
DRIVER, PASSENGERS APPREHENDED
Lewis said the driver, a 22-year-old man, attempted to flee but was quickly caught.
Three passengers in the car stayed in the vehicle and were arrested. The passengers were a 24-year-old woman, a 21-year-old woman and 29-year-old man. All were taken to the Eagle County jail. Lewis said Wednesday afternoon that investigators are still working to determine what charges each member of the group might face.
Trending In: Crime
- Breckenridge’s Blue Stag to serve suspension over employee cocaine bust
- Greeley police arrest five people after routine call early Saturday morning
- Teen driver in Carbondale wreck arrested on DUI, vehicular homicide
- Police believe they know who killed Greeley’s 12-year-old Kayleah Wilson
- Brother of man killed in apparent road rage incident asks public for help
- Arapahoe Basin volunteer ski patrol program finished after at least 4 decades
- Glenwood commuting challenge mounts for Eagle County residents
- Woodchuck starts car fire in Steamboat Springs, flees scene, later apprehended
- David Walder, of Edwards, died Monday in Sweetwater Jeep rollover accident
- Huskies 3,200 relay strikes gold at state meet