Local woman killed in alleged drunk driving crash
August 21, 2014
EDWARDS — A Battle Mountain High School alumna was killed early Thursday when the car in which she was riding plunged off a mountain road, police said.
Cuhatlique Cardenas, 23, died when driver Hugo Castillo-Marquez failed to negotiate a curve near the intersection of Fenno Drive and Squaw Creek Road near Cordillera in Edwards, according to police.
Castillo-Marquez was allegedly driving drunk when he went off the edge, said the Colorado State Patrol. The black 2013 Honda went airborne for 100 feet before landing and rolling multiple times, coming to rest with its wheels in Squaw Creek, police said.
Cardenas was pronounced dead at the scene, said Kara Bettis, Eagle County coroner.
The Colorado State Patrol was notified at 6:49 a.m. and was on the scene minutes later, along with deputies from the Eagle County Sheriff's Office.
Castillo-Marquez, 21, was taken to the Vail Valley Medical Center as a precaution, said Trooper Josh Lewis with the Colorado State Patrol.
The cause of the crash is still under investigation, but alcohol and excessive speed are being investigated as possible contributing factors to the crash, the State Patrol said. Cardenas was wearing her seat belt at the time of the crash.
Castillo-Marquez was booked into the Eagle County jail Thursday on charges of felony vehicular homicide, DUI resulting in death and reckless driving resulting in death. He's being held without bail.
Cardenas was a 2009 Battle Mountain High School graduate and was one of 10 Eagle County high school graduates that year to earn an Alpine Bank Latino/Hispanic Scholarship.
The scholarship was for two years to any Colorado Mountain College campus.
Cardenas' goal was to study culinary arts and eventually own and operate her own restaurant in Colorado.
Staff Writer Randy Wyrick can be reached at 970-748-2935 or email@example.com.
Trending In: Crime
- Teen driver in Carbondale wreck arrested on DUI, vehicular homicide
- Police believe they know who killed Greeley’s 12-year-old Kayleah Wilson
- Greeley police arrest five people after routine call early Saturday morning
- Breckenridge’s Blue Stag to serve suspension over employee cocaine bust
- Ritz Bachelor Gulch owner opts to fight felony charges
- Eagle boarder cited for unlawful acts in case of dog killed by mountain lion
- Eagle, homeowner team up on grant request to tear down Broadway house
- American Airlines will have daily air service from Dallas to Eagle County
- Vail Mountain School commencement embraces future, as well as past
- Alleged internet predator arrested, jailed for sex with 13-year-old girl