Vail police confiscate drugs
December 30, 2016
VAIL — At 11:10 p.m. Thursday, the Vail Police Department responded to a report of a man with a gun traveling eastbound on Interstate 70 at mile marker 180 near the East Vail interchange. The suspect, Thomas Whitney, a 56-year-old Idaho man, was reported to be threatening two female passengers with a handgun.
When officers arrived on scene, Whitney attempted to elude the officers on foot, police said. Officers took chase and arrested him without further incident. After his arrest, officers found him to be in possession of suspected methamphetamine, according to police.
Additional controlled substances were located in the vehicle, a 1990 Honda Accord, police said. The drugs were identified as belonging to all three parties associated with this incident. Officers also located a handgun under the driver's seat of the vehicle.
The initial case seizures totaled 44.3 grams of methamphetamine, 17.5 grams of heroin, 14.5 prescription pills, 5 grams of psilocybin mushrooms and the handgun.
• Unlawful distribution, manufacturing, dispensing or sale; a Class 2 drug felony.
• Unlawful possession of a controlled substance; a Class 4 drug felony.
• Felony menacing; a Class 5 felony.
• Third degree assault; a Class 1 misdemeanor.
• Possession of weapons by previous offender, a Class 5 felony.
• Obstruction of telephone services, a Class 1 misdemeanor.
• Obstructing a peace officer, a Class 2 misdemeanor.
• Possession of drug paraphernalia, a drug petty offense.
• Drove motor vehicle while revoked as a habitual offender, a Class 1 misdemeanor.
Stories You May Be Interested In
Trending In: Crime
- Breckenridge’s Blue Stag to serve suspension over employee cocaine bust
- Greeley police arrest five people after routine call early Saturday morning
- Teen driver in Carbondale wreck arrested on DUI, vehicular homicide
- Police believe they know who killed Greeley’s 12-year-old Kayleah Wilson
- Brother of man killed in apparent road rage incident asks public for help
- Arapahoe Basin volunteer ski patrol program finished after at least 4 decades
- Glenwood commuting challenge mounts for Eagle County residents
- Woodchuck starts car fire in Steamboat Springs, flees scene, later apprehended
- David Walder, of Edwards, died Monday in Sweetwater Jeep rollover accident
- Huskies 3,200 relay strikes gold at state meet