March 26, 2014
1 YEAR AGO
Week of March 28, 2013
The popularity of Moe’s Original Bar Que landed them on the cover of the Enterprise with the story focusing on the company’s southern soul food revival and how the business continued to expand.
Yeik Flooring and Beveridge Real Estate sponsored the annual Eagle Egg Hunt.
The Gypsum Town Council was updated on the town’s biomass plant’s construction.
Warm weather, good snow and interesting history combined for a very successful Snowshoe History Tour on East Brush Creek.
Joy Ortiz was surprised with a birthday bouquet at the Eagle Lions Club Spaghetti Dinner.
5 YEARS AGO
Week of March 26, 2009
The Eagle Valley Chamber of Commerce struggled to define a new identity as both Eagle and Gypsum merchants launched hometown promotions. Gypsum was seeking a new composting site for sewer plant sludge.
Eagle Town officials and residents agreed that Target’s initial proposed store sign for the Eagle River Station was off the mark and needed to be spruced up.
The Eagle Methodist Church offered free dinners on Monday nights to help community members during the hard economic times.
Lil E. Tee, the racehorse that local star jockey Pat Day rode to a win in the 1992 Kentucky Derby, died. The horse was 20 years old.
10 YEARS AGO
Week of March 25, 2004
Jon Stavney was ready to take the helm as Eagle Mayor.
Vandals struck the Eagle Post Office.
The Bluffs was offering 67 single-family home sites in Phase II starting at $79,000.
Eagle County allocated $25,000 for a West Nile Virus ‘bite’ campaign, which was a public outreach program to educate the public about the virus.
Eagle Valley businesses and community members came together to refurbish the EVHS baseball field in honor of student-athlete Skylar Hootman, who was killed in a Homecoming night car accident.
20 YEARS AGO
Week of Mar. 24, 1994
Developers were breaking ground for the North Bank (Eagle Villas) project in Eagle.
Three Gypsum town council members were competing for the job of mayor.
Alicia Holder spotted the first marmot of the season, sunning itself on a big fat rock near Dotsero.
In Eagle, Jack Niswanger’s many friends gathered to help him celebrate his St. Patrick’s Day birthday. Everybody brought a green hors d’ouevre.
30 YEARS AGO
Week of Mar. 29, 1984
The town of Eagle and U.S. Postal Service officials continued to wrangle over the location of the new post office. Town officials wanted the facility in the core of town; the federal officials were looking at bigger lots in the Eagle Commercial Park.
Candidates for the Eagle Town Board debated growth issues.
The Eagle Valley High School Drama Department presented the play “Not my Cup of Tea.”
40 YEARS AGO
Week of Mar. 28, 1974
The Civil Air Patrol was using the Eagle County Airport as the search base for a plane that was missing after departing the Aspen Airport five days previously. A five-member family from Illinois was on the plane.
Eagle County was on the verge of adopting a policy that would require developers to donate land or cash for schools.
Brothers Jim and Robert Toomer, both members of the Future Farmers of America, were awarded the “State Farmer” degree at a convention in Gunnison.
50 YEARS AGO
Week of Mar. 26, 1964
Eagle experienced a solid week of spring snow storms. “One doesn’t mind a white Christmas, but a white Easter is carrying things a bit too far. We are going to get a Christmas tree and decorate it for the Easter bunny,” threatened Enterprise Editor Marilla McCain.
Greve Electric was moving to a newly remodeled space in the Eagle Theater building.
60 YEARS AGO
Week of Mar. 25, 1954
The Enterprise reported that an engineer in Denver was studying the possibility of diverting 15,000 feet of water from the Eagle River to the East Slope. Enterprise Editor Marilla McCain was urging locals to organize a “line of defense” on the issue.
A “spring cleaning” was planned for the Eagle River.
Excavation began for the new basement of the proposed new Masonic Hall in Eagle. The new building was located one block east of Broadway.
The first day of spring brought heavy snow throughout the valley.
70 YEARS AGO
Week of Mar. 24, 1944
Concerned about the lack of activities for local teenagers, a group of local leaders was proposing to establish a “Service Club” in the basement of a local church.
Mrs. Cora Mayer received word that her grandson, Lt. Perry Mayer, was reported missing since a raid in Austria.
Thirteen local boys were invested as “tenderfoot” Boy Scouts.
80 YEARS AGO
Week of Mar. 30, 1934
A jury acquitted three young Basalt men accused of stealing and butchering a calf. The heated trial lasted for three days.
A new highway patrolman, J.T. Smith, was writing tickets to local motorists. The officer’s territory included Eagle, Mesa, Delta, Pitkin, Routt, Rio Blanco, Garfield and Moffat counties.