Week In Review
June 18, 2014
Fatal accident closes I-70 at Eagle
A head-on collision on Interstate 70 Saturday near Eagle left two people dead and two hospitalized.
The accident report came in at about 4:12 p.m. Saturday, according to the Colorado State Patrol. I-70 was closed and traffic was rerouted to Highway 6 for several hours Saturday night.
Eagle County S chool District's budget will grow by $2.8 million next year, and most of the money will be spent on personnel and maintenance.
The school board approved the 2014-15 budget that includes more money in the general fund, hard-won funding from battles with state lawmakers who had no initial plans to increase education funding at all.
River levels peak
River levels on Gore Creek and the Eagle River have peaked and are on the decline after weeks of roaring runoff.
The Eagle River peaked May 30 and Gore Creek peaked June 3, although both rivers still are boasting water levels that are above normal compared to other seasons in the past decade.
Bike Path Warning
Colorado Department of Transportation officials are warning bicyclists to stay off closed sections of the Glenwood Canyon bike path due to damage to some of the bridge structures from spring runoff flooding. They fear closures of some parts of the trail could last weeks.
Flat Tops stabbing
Ryan Cordova, 30, of Denver, was being held on a $5,000 bond in connection with a stabbing incident Tuesday on the Flat Tops.
According to an arrest affidavit from the Garfield County Sheriff's Department, Cordova had been camping near Coffee Pot Road with Melissa Orozco, 38, since June 7. Orozco reportedly defined her relationship with Cordova as "friends with benefits," and told police the pair had come out to "detox," but had been drinking on the day of the incident.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Eagle Valley
- Vail Daily obituary: Patsy Lou Shankel, 1939-2017
- Eagle considers upping $500,000 contribution to Brush Creek open space deal
- State law change could help rekindle Vail Valley condo construction
- Two local schools earn statewide academic honors
- Eagle Ranch Golf Course employees help bee population with onsite apiary
- Outpouring of support begins for Eagle bartender Dita Richterova
- Doggone? Nope! Searcher finds Izzy the pitbull, owner glad to be alive
- Eagle man allegedly tried to beat to death female bartender at closing time
- Locals searching for dog that fled head-on crash on Vail Pass Saturday
- Vail avalanche death case on hold as judge denies motion to disqualify himself