Electrical fire causes heavy smoke damage in Rifle home | VailDaily.com

Electrical fire causes heavy smoke damage in Rifle home

Ryan Hoffman
rhoffman@citizentelegram.com

Crews with Colorado River Fire Rescue respond to a report of a fire in north Rifle Tuesday.

A faulty power strip or faulty phone charger appears to have caused a small fire that led to extensive smoke damage in a north Rifle home Tuesday night.

Neither of the two occupants of the home, located on 27th Street, were injured in the incident, which Colorado River Fire Rescue Fire Marshal Orrin Moon said resulted in at least $150,000 in damage. The home is uninhabitable.

Meanwhile, a gofundme account was started for the couple, identified in the post as Parks and Amanda. As of 6 p.m. Thursday $775 was donated to the account.

"Due to both being self employed they must now take time away from their work lives to pick up the pieces of their home. Any donations are greatly appreciate from this amazing couple," the gofundme post stated.

Emergency responders received a call of a house full of smoke around 8:40 p.m. Tuesday.

The couple had been gone for approximately two hours that evening. When they returned home the residence was filled with smoke.

Recommended Stories For You

The fire started on a dining room chair where a power strip sat with a cell phone charger plugged into it. Either the power strip or the charger was most likely responsible for the fire, according to Moon.

The flame jumped to a nearby couch, which burned and filled the house with smoke — effectively suffocating the fire.

"The fire ran out of oxygen and … the owner only saw a little bit of flame," Moon said.

Although the fire caused minimal damage, the smoke ruined most of the possessions in the home.

Along with the gofundme page, Moon said he believed the Red Cross was assisting the couple.

Go back to article