Gas leak causes evacuation in Avon
Ryan Summerlin August 21, 2014
AVON — A gas leak caused the evacuation of three people from an apartment complex in Avon on Thursday.
At about 3:15 p.m., the Eagle River Fire Protection District responded to the report of a high-pressure gas leak at 288 W. Beaver Creek Blvd. in Avon. Only 10 of the units were occupied at the time, and three people were evacuated.
The leak appears to have been caused when a lift being used by painters hit a gas meter tree. Residents were allowed to return at about 4:20 p.m., after the gas had been turned off and the units aired out. Xcel Energy estimated it would be several hours until crews could complete repairs; however, only one unit remained without gas service as of Thursday afternoon.
The Avon Police Department, Eagle County Paramedic Services and Vail Public Safety and Communications Center also assisted in the incident.