Local restaurant hosting Buddy Werner League benefit
February 21, 2013
AVON, Colorado – A local restaurant is hosting a benefit for a kids ski league.
The Northside Cafe and Kitchen in Avon is hosting a benefit for the local Buddy Werner League.
“The Buddy Werner League helps more than 300 local kids with skiing and ski race training,” said Jim Pavelich, Northside Cafe owner. “It’s a great organization and we can’t wait to have a great time Sunday night.”
The event is for everyone, not just for Buddy Werner League members, Pavelich said.
Buddy Werner League is a recreational race club for skiers in grades 2-8.
The organization is named for Wallace “Buddy” Jerold Werner, America’s first truly world class ski racer.
Recommended Stories For You
A native of Steamboat Springs, Werner had a breakneck style that caused spectacular spills, but also enabled him to win virtually every championship available during his mercurial career. He was a three-time Olympian.
Werner died trying to outrace an avalanche in the Swiss Alps on April 12, 1964.
Among his accomplishments were:
• Member, Olympic Alpine Team: 1956, 1960, 1964.
• Member, Federation International du Ski Alpine Team: 1954 (alternate); 1958, when he was the first American selected; 1962.
• Posthumously inducted into the National Ski Hall of Fame, 1964.
• Three time Holmenkollen Champion in Norway, with the best showing to date by an American Alpine skier in international competition: 1954, 1956, 1962.
• Three time National Alpine Champion in Giant Slalom: 1957, 1959, 1963.
• Two time winner of the Roche Cup: 1959, 1961.