Local students take over Vilar Center
Ryan Summerlin October 25, 2012
BEAVER CREEK, Colorado – The Vilar Performing Arts Center in Beaver Creek is once again opening its doors to Pre-K through eighth-grade students for the kick-off of its Support the Arts Reaching Students (STARS) Program, a project of the Vail Valley Foundation that offers students in Eagle County artistic, educational and cultural enrichment through in-school workshops and daytime shows.
Now in its 15th season, the STARS program is offering a more robust curriculum than ever before, with performances ranging from dance, opera and classical to musical theater and puppetry. Each production includes a study guide which is distributed to teachers before the performance, covering writing skills, anti-bullying, diversity and multiculturalism, trust, collaboration, relationships, leadership, self-esteem and values, to name a few. Some of the productions are also performed partially in Spanish.
The 2012-13 STARS season, which will serve well over 6,000 Pre-K through 8th grade students, features its next performance Wednesday with Peter and the Wolf, presented by Jim Gamble Puppet Productions.
“I cannot express enough what a rewarding experience it is to watch young people become entertained and inspired by a performance in our facility” said Kris Sabel, executive director for the Vilar Performing Arts Center. “We look forward each year to an entire auditorium of children standing up and cheering at the production’s end, as well as to the long term positive impacts we make on their cultural enrichment and education futures.”
The STARS program is made possible by the generosity of our donors, including Pat and Pete Frechette, who underwrite the program each year.
Should you wish to check out the series for yourself, a limited number of public tickets are offered for purchase for each show. They are $14 for adults, $11 for students.
Full 2012-13 STARS Lineup:
• Peter and the Wolf, presented by Jim Gamble Puppet Productions, Wednesday, 10 a.m. and 12:30 p.m.
• Ailey II: Revelations, presented by Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, Nov. 9, 10 a.m. and 12:30 p.m.
• Street Beat: Dance through the Decades, presented by River North Dance Chicago, Jan. 29, 12:30 p.m.
• Teatro Lirico d’Europa: Opera for Kids, Feb. 7, 12:30 p.m.
• The 5 Browns, Feb. 13, 12:30 p.m.
• The Little Engine that Could, presented by ArtsPower National Touring Theatre, March 11, 10 a.m. and 12:30 p.m.
• The Mayhem Poets, April 10, 10 a.m. and 12:30 p.m.
• The Journal of Abby Munson, presented by Imagination Makers Theater Company, April 11, 10 a.m. and 12:30 p.m.
More information: www.vilarpac.org or 970.845.TIXS.