Vail Daily obituary: Alan Hassman, 1939 – 2016
November 30, 2016
Alan Hassman, 77, of Camp Hill, Pennsylvania, and Big Sky, Montana, died unexpectedly on Sunday, Nov. 27, 2016, at the Hershey Medical Center in Hershey, Pennsylvania.
Born Nov. 2, 1939 in Hew Hampton, Iowa, he was the son of the late Elmer and Ina (Zierath) Hassman.
Alan served in the National Guard and was a graduate of Wartburg College, in Waverly, Iowa, where he studied business and became an all-state wrestler. He was a member of Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church in Camp Hill, Pennsylvania.
Hassman is best remembered by those who knew him as a man who lived life to its fullest. Most comfortable in jeans and well-worn cowboy boots, he was a striking man with loads of charisma. You knew when he was near by his unmistakable and unabashed laugh that could fill any room. He had a big personality and was always ready with one of his (in)famous jokes. He had incredible stamina and he believed that anything was possible through hard work.
He was selfless and gave much of himself. It gave him great pleasure to be the one who could bring joy to others. Despite his many business successes with McDonald's, Metro Bank, Dame Media, hotels and others, he maintained a child-like curiosity for the world. He was happiest helping Alex with a construction project or mowing the fields around Alison's house. As much as he gave to others, he gave the most to his family, and particularly his grandchildren, who became the center of his universe.
Alan is survived by his wife of 55 years, Gloria (Arnold) Hassman, of Camp Hill, Pennsylvania; daughter, Alison Hassman Ballantine and her husband, Peter, of Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania; son, Alex Hassman and his wife Suzanne Samardich, of Big Sky, Montana; five grandchildren, Sally, Eleanor and Axel Ballantine, and Kjetil and Wren Hassman; and a sister, Dixie Abbas, of Plainfield, Iowa.
Recommended Stories For You
A memorial service will be held on Monday at 11 a.m. at Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church, located at 2000 Chestnut St., Camp Hill, Pennsylvania 17011, with Pastor Nancy Easton and Pastor Mark Huggenvik officiating. The family will receive friends in the church, during lunch, immediately following the service.
In lieu of flowers memorial contributions may be made to Harrisburg Academy, 10 Erford Road, Wormleysburg, Pennsylvania 17043, or to Big Sky Discovery Academy, PO Box 161548, Big Sky, Montana 59716. Myers-Harner Funeral & Cremation Services, Camp Hill, has been entrusted with funeral arrangements, http://www.myers-harner.com.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Obituaries
- Vail Daily obituary: David L. Meirowsky, Dec. 3, 1966, to July 2017
- Vail Daily obituary: Phoebe Brook Lester, 16, was a joy to friends, family
- Vail Daily obituary: Pamela Johnson Kalkus
- Vail Daily obituary: Eagle resident Katie Mariah Ciliberto died July 6
- Vail Daily obituary: Britton John Green, April 1, 1985, to July 15, 2017
- Section of Grand Avenue bridge collapses during Glenwood Springs demolition work
- New all-time record for traffic at Eisenhower Tunnel set Aug. 6
- Monstrous Colorado ranch that boasts a 14er sells after being listed for $105M
- Viewing guide for solar eclipse, in Eagle County and from area of totality
- Semi driver attempting to avoid Glenwood Springs traffic busted on Independence Pass