Clifford D. Zinda, 1936-2013
October 3, 2013
Clifford D. Zinda, of Eagle, died Aug. 15, 2013.
He is survived by Georgie, his wife of 43 years, and his brother Robert, of Dunnellon, Fla.
He retired from Prudential Insurance after 25 years, achieving a Series 7 NASD license.
He volunteered at the Vail Valley Medical Center and the Shaw Regional Cancer Center. He also volunteered at the Vilar Performing Arts Center and repaired vacuums at the annual Eagle Valley Community Fund rummage sale held in Minturn's Maloit Park.
Zinda was born in Schuylkill, Penn., on Oct. 17, 1936, to Dominic and Estell. He attended Birmingham High School in Berkley, Mich., and joined the U.S. Air Force after high school.
He reported to Scott Air Force Base for 32 weeks of training. He was then stationed in Alaska and monitored the Russian border following the Korean War and as the Cold War grew.
He was on active duty in the Air Force for three years and 10 months, from Dec. 27, 1954, to Oct. 26, 1958. He stayed with the Air Force Reserves until Dec. 26, 1962.
Zinda was a member of the Lions Club and Rotary Club in Davisburg, Mich., where he served as president.
In Eagle County, he was a member of the Vail Valley Medical Center's volunteer guild and was named "Volunteer of the Year." He was one of the guild's volunteer coordinators.
Among his other hobbies, he was a blacksmith and was fond of making metal crosses for his friends.
His memorial was Sept. 6 at the Edwards Interfaith Chapel.
In lieu of flowers, gifts may be made to the Edwards Interfaith Chapel, P.O. Box 1828, Edwards, CO 81632. Make gifts to the parking lot fund.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Discovery Channel’s ‘Gold Rush’ reality show, ‘mining for ratings,’ faces lawsuit from Park County neighbors
- Letter: Elimination of Vail Health pediatric doctors will impact children of valley
- Second rash of West Vail thieves hit at least seven unlocked vehicles
- Morrie Shepard, Vail’s first ski school director, has taken his last lift ride
- Eagle County approves Edwards area, 120-unit 6 West Apartments plan