Clifford D. Zinda, 1936-2013
October 3, 2013
Clifford D. Zinda, of Eagle, died Aug. 15, 2013.
He is survived by Georgie, his wife of 43 years, and his brother Robert, of Dunnellon, Fla.
He retired from Prudential Insurance after 25 years, achieving a Series 7 NASD license.
He volunteered at the Vail Valley Medical Center and the Shaw Regional Cancer Center. He also volunteered at the Vilar Performing Arts Center and repaired vacuums at the annual Eagle Valley Community Fund rummage sale held in Minturn's Maloit Park.
Zinda was born in Schuylkill, Penn., on Oct. 17, 1936, to Dominic and Estell. He attended Birmingham High School in Berkley, Mich., and joined the U.S. Air Force after high school.
He reported to Scott Air Force Base for 32 weeks of training. He was then stationed in Alaska and monitored the Russian border following the Korean War and as the Cold War grew.
He was on active duty in the Air Force for three years and 10 months, from Dec. 27, 1954, to Oct. 26, 1958. He stayed with the Air Force Reserves until Dec. 26, 1962.
Zinda was a member of the Lions Club and Rotary Club in Davisburg, Mich., where he served as president.
In Eagle County, he was a member of the Vail Valley Medical Center's volunteer guild and was named "Volunteer of the Year." He was one of the guild's volunteer coordinators.
Among his other hobbies, he was a blacksmith and was fond of making metal crosses for his friends.
His memorial was Sept. 6 at the Edwards Interfaith Chapel.
In lieu of flowers, gifts may be made to the Edwards Interfaith Chapel, P.O. Box 1828, Edwards, CO 81632. Make gifts to the parking lot fund.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Vail Daily obituary: Eric Rosenquist, June 7, 1959, to May 18, 2017
- Vail Daily obituary: Ann-Margret Eklund, April 16, 2017
- Vail Daily obituary: Ludwig ‘Louie’ Jordan: A life well lived
- Vail Daily obituary: Carmen Rosalie Morris, Dec. 18, 1928, to April 18, 2017
- Vai Daily obituary: Gretta Burdick Parks, Oct. 8, 1928, to March 16, 2017
- Eagle boarder cited for unlawful acts in case of dog killed by mountain lion
- Eagle, homeowner team up on grant request to tear down Broadway house
- American Airlines will have daily air service from Dallas to Eagle County
- Vail Mountain School commencement embraces future, as well as past
- Alleged internet predator arrested, jailed for sex with 13-year-old girl