Higinio Horacio Romero, 1921-2012
June 6, 2012
Higinio Horacio Romero, 90, a longtime Minturn resident, passed away on June 4 at his home surrounded by his loving family.
He was born Nov. 8, 1921, in Taos, N.M., to Epifanio and Juliana Romero, one of 11 children.
He met his wife of 59 years, Frances Cortez, and they were married in 1953 and had 10 children together. Higinio served in World War II from 1943-1945, assigned to the 456th Bombardment Group and B-24 bombers in Italy as a radio technician. He worked for the Gilman Mine for 23 years and 12 years with the town of Vail. He was an active member of the community. He founded and served as commander and quartermaster for the VFW Post 10721 in Minturn. He served on the board of directors for Habitat for Humanity in Eagle and Lake Counties, was a member of St. Patrick’s Parish, and has numerous awards for all of his accomplishments. Higinio loved gardening, fishing, hunting and spending time with family.
He is survived by his wife, Frances; children Herman Romero (Karen), Armando Romero, Priscilla Vigil (Orlando), Kathy Navarro (Juan), Vicky Trujillo, Susan Romero, Epi Romero and Patrick Romero (Ana); grandchildren Kristi Esparza, Elaine and Francisco Romero, Andrea and Joseph Sanchez, Melissa and Deirdre Vigil, Johnny and Daniel Navarro, Heather, Ray and Marianne Trujillo, Christopher Romero, and Mario and Ivonne Gonzalez-Martinez; and great-grandchildren Natalie, Gabbie and Vanessa Archibeque, Trent and Isaiah Romero-Foster, Kayah and Akeylah Esparza, and Gabriel, Ava and Noah Riojas. He is further survived by two sisters, Susie and Josie; one brother, Julian; and nieces and nephews.
He is preceded in death by his daughter Mary Ann, son Richard Romero, seven brothers and sisters, and his parents.
Services are in Minturn at St. Patrick’s Parish. There will be a viewing at 6 p.m. today, with a rosary at 7 p.m. Funeral services will be at 10 a.m. Friday. Father Roger will be the officiating minister.
Please join the family for light refreshments after the rosary Thursday.
After the funeral services Friday, there will be a reception to celebrate Higinio’s life at the Spirit Center in Minturn.
The Romero family thanks all the community and friends of the family in advance for their support and help during our time of need.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Vail Daily obituary: Ludwig ‘Louie’ Jordan: A life well lived
- Vail Daily obituary: Eric Rosenquist, June 7, 1959, to May 18, 2017
- Vail Daily obituary: Ann-Margret Eklund, April 16, 2017
- Vai Daily obituary: Gretta Burdick Parks, Oct. 8, 1928, to March 16, 2017
- Vail Daily obituary: Carmen Rosalie Morris, Dec. 18, 1928, to April 18, 2017
- Eagle boarder cited for unlawful acts in case of dog killed by mountain lion
- Vail Mountain School commencement embraces future, as well as past
- Real estate options in Wildridge offer privacy, open space and value (video)
- ‘We’ll be racy’: Vail’s Buddy Lazier is running his 20th Indianapolis 500
- New Eagle City Market compiles positive comments, sales tax numbers