Memorial: Jack Nelson
May 27, 2012
Jack Ellis Nelson, a longtime Morristown, Tenn., resident, died Thursday in Knoxville, Tenn., after a brief illness. Mr. Nelson was 89 years old.
Mr. Nelson was born in Riverton, Wyo., where his father was a foreman on Buffalo Bill Cody’s ranch. He grew up in southwestern South Dakota on the family farm fishing, trapping and raising sheep. During World War II, he served as a U.S. Navy radio operator in the Pacific. In 1947, he earned a degree in metallurgy from the South Dakota School of Mines and began a long career with the New Jersey Zinc Company. This career began in Gilman, where, in 1948, he married Frances Maloit and started his family. His career took him to Jefferson City, Tenn.; Treadway, Tenn. (twice); Mexican Hat, Utah; Austinville, Va.; and Morristown, and, in these often remote locations, he enjoyed boating, fishing, skiing, playing tennis and table tennis and exploring the desert and mountains with his family. Over the course of his long career, he rose through the ranks of management at several of the company’s mills and mines until he retired in 1984. For the next 11 years, he worked as a metallurgical consultant.
Mr. Nelson is survived by his son, Bruce, and his wife, Kathy; his granddaughters Nora and Frances and his great granddaughter Audrianna; his daughter Terryann and her husband, Randy Horton; his grandsons Matthew and Bradley Ternes; his son Lind and his wife, Lisa; his grandsons Luke, Lance and Logan; and his sister Frances and her husband, Jimmie Williams. He is pre-deceased by his wife and two sons.
The family truly appreciates the staff at Morristown Hamblen and Ft. Sanders Hospitals and the Tennova Hospice Residence for the compassionate care and support during their dad’s illness. Family visitation and memorial service will be held at Mayes Family Services, Downtown Chapel in Morristown on June 16 with receiving of friends 3-5 p.m. and service at 5 p.m.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to: Boy Scout Troop 91, 101 East 1st North St., Morristown, TN 37814. Mr. Nelson’s cremains will be interred at Pine Slope Cemetery in Belle Fourche, S.D. Arrangements by Mayes Family Services of Morristown, Downtown Chapel.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Vail Daily obituary: Eric Rosenquist, June 7, 1959, to May 18, 2017
- Vail Daily obituary: Ann-Margret Eklund, April 16, 2017
- Vail Daily obituary: Bradley Chandler Post, March 22, 1950, to May 14, 2017
- Vail Daily obituary: Carmen Rosalie Morris, Dec. 18, 1928, to April 18, 2017
- Vail Daily obituary: Ingrid Rittner
- Eagle, homeowner team up on grant request to tear down Broadway house
- School board says no to Walking Mountains, yes to $510K scholastic app
- American Airlines will have daily air service from Dallas to Eagle County
- Alleged internet predator arrested, jailed for sex with 13-year-old girl
- Hovey & Harrison opening in Edwards, offering meal subscriptions