Vail Daily obituary: A. Jean Waddell, 1924-2014
July 2, 2014
A. "Jean" Waddell, 90, of Traverse City, Michigan, passed away on Monday.
Born Feb. 15, 1924, in Oil City, Pennsylvania, she married her best friend, John "Jack" Waddell, on July 1, 1950, in McKeesport, Pennsylvania. Their love remained strong through 54 years of marriage until his death in 2005.
Jean is survived by her three daughters: Elaine (Warren Lawrence) Waddell, of Eagle, Suzan (Michael) Vogel, of Sandy, Utah, and Andrea (Philip) Koski, of Edwards. Also surviving are four grandchildren and four step-grandchildren.
The couple raised their family in Grand Rapids, Michigan, where she worked as an executive secretary before becoming a homemaker. Upon retiring, they split their time between Traverse City, Michigan, and Tucson, Arizona. After Jack's death, Jean divided her time amongst Traverse City, Utah and Colorado.
She was an active member of the Christian Scientist Church and the League of Women Voters. Jean loved traveling and jazz music. She and Jack had many years of pleasure attending jazz festivals and dancing to the big band era tunes. Above all, spending time with her family is what gave Jean the most joy.
In accordance with Jean's wishes cremation has taken place. A celebration of Jean's life will be held July 26 in Traverse City. Details can be found on Reynolds-Jonkhoff webpage at http://www.reynolds-jonkhoff.com.
In lieu of flowers, those planning an expression of sympathy may wish to consider a memorial donation to First Church of Christ, Scientist, Traverse City, Michigan.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Morrie Shepard, Vail’s first ski school director, has taken his last lift ride
- Steadman Clinic knee surgeon Dr. Robert LaPrade uses Facebook Live to demonstrate orthopedic procedures to a global audience
- Sonnenalp’s Solar Vail proposal could add 65 deed-restricted apartments at a cost of $4.2M to town of Vail
- Letter: Elimination of Vail Health pediatric doctors will impact children of valley
- Disposable plastic bags vanishing in Avon; point-of-sale ban goes into effect May 1