Vail Daily obituary: Athena Buxman, 1920-2013
April 10, 2013
Athena Buxman, 92, of Glenwood Springs, died April 3.
She was born Nov. 13, 1920, in Denver to Dimitri and Mary Razatos.
She was a member of the Vail community from 1968 until moving to Tucson, Ariz., in 1995. She loved the mountains and was an active member of the early Vail community. Like most Vail locals, she hiked, played golf, and alpine skiied. Athena cross-country skiied from Aspen to Vail on the hut route when she was well into her 70s.
She passed quietly in Glenwood Springs surrounded by her family.
She is survived by her daughters Mary Flast of Eugene, Ore., and Chris Fox of Phoenix; and her son, John Buxman Jr., of Glenwood Springs.
Services will be April 21 from 2-5 p.m. at Blue Plate Bistro in Avon.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Obituaries
- Vail Daily obituary: Britton John Green, April 1, 1985, to July 15, 2017
- Vail Daily obituary: Tracie Lee Johnson
- Vail Daily obituary: Michael Edmund Toughill, March 30, 1946, to July 15, 2017
- Vail Daily obituary: Richard “Dick” Joseph Blair, May 26, 1929, to June 26, 2017
- Vail Daily obituary: James (Jimmie) Benjamin Cline
- Eagle man allegedly tried to beat to death female bartender at closing time
- Minturn man gets 20 to 40 years in prison for shooting at cops during robbery
- Jury duty both frustrates and fulfills would-be jurors in Eagle County
- Riders turn out for Colorado-Eagle River Ride
- Shifting silt soil moved to build Eagle school foundation on bedrock