Vail Daily obituary: Benjamin John Matthews, 1979-2013
February 6, 2013
Benjamin John Matthews, 33, of Eagle-Vail, died Monday.
He was born to John and Diana Matthews Nov. 4, 1979, in Loma Linda, Calif. Ben graduated from Lincoln Southeast High School in 1998 and from the University of Southwest Missouri State University with a B.S. in cartographic sciences, magna cum laude, in 2002,
After college, Ben lived in Kansas City, Mo.; Washington, D.C.,; Waikiki, Hawaii; and Denver before coming to Vail.
Ben worked at Sweet Basil in Vail for five years and was passionate about snowboarding, mountain biking, playing soccer, hiking, camping and watching live music any chance he could get. He lived a full life, traveling to Scotland and Wales, Africa and China.
Ben is survived by his mother, Diana; his father, John; as well as four siblings: Nic and Nate, of Vail, and Desiree and Tyler, of Lincoln, Neb.
A memorial service will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday at the Vail Marriott Mountain Resort. The address is 715 West Lionshead Circle in Vail. There will be a memorial in Lincoln with dates and time to be announced.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Armed carjacking near Red Cliff has police searching for two suspects
- Avon video game store robbed; police searching for suspect
- Vonn returning to Vail; extends career one more season
- Lots of factors play into decline of Mexican travelers in Vail
- Training for Trump: Air Force at Eagle County airport for high altitude flight training