Vail Daily obituary: Benjamin John Matthews, 1979-2013
February 6, 2013
Benjamin John Matthews, 33, of Eagle-Vail, died Monday.
He was born to John and Diana Matthews Nov. 4, 1979, in Loma Linda, Calif. Ben graduated from Lincoln Southeast High School in 1998 and from the University of Southwest Missouri State University with a B.S. in cartographic sciences, magna cum laude, in 2002,
After college, Ben lived in Kansas City, Mo.; Washington, D.C.,; Waikiki, Hawaii; and Denver before coming to Vail.
Ben worked at Sweet Basil in Vail for five years and was passionate about snowboarding, mountain biking, playing soccer, hiking, camping and watching live music any chance he could get. He lived a full life, traveling to Scotland and Wales, Africa and China.
Ben is survived by his mother, Diana; his father, John; as well as four siblings: Nic and Nate, of Vail, and Desiree and Tyler, of Lincoln, Neb.
A memorial service will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday at the Vail Marriott Mountain Resort. The address is 715 West Lionshead Circle in Vail. There will be a memorial in Lincoln with dates and time to be announced.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Obituary: The life of the one and only Kurt Keltner
- Obituary: Michael ‘Mike’ D. Lujan, Aug. 20 1958 – Sept. 6, 2017
- Obituary: Celebrate Alan Brock Friday, Sept. 22, in Grand Junction
- Obituary: Mrs. Clara A. Valencia, Aug. 27, 1936, to Sept. 11, 2017
- Obituary: Robert Leroy Kesterson, Oct. 15, 1935 – Sept. 9, 2017
- Eagle County Sheriff’s Office identifies 22-year-old arrested in connection with alleged public masturbation
- UPDATE: Eastbound lanes of Interstate 70 near Vail will close again Friday morning to remove crashed semi
- Arvada woman pleads not guilty in Eagle County crash that killed two of her children
- Colorado police on the hunt for ‘The Mad Pooper’ — aka the poop-and-run jogger
- CDOT begins cleanup of 25-ton rock in Dowd Junction, lane closures expected