Vail Daily obituary: Bernard A. Goggins, 1939-2013
February 14, 2014
Bernard A. "Mick" Goggins, of Eagle, passed away Nov. 14 with his family by his side after a six-year battle with cancer.
He was born in Quincy, Ill., on Dec. 6, 1939, to Genevieve Kohl and Bernard (Barney) Goggins.
He was preceded in death by daughter Genny Goggins and his parents. Surviving is his wife of 50 years, Karen (Hollembeak) Goggins, of Eagle; daughter Tracy Whicker, her husband Mark and their children Alex and Adam Whicker, of Eagle; son Bernard A. Goggins III (Ben), his wife Bonnie and their children Emily and Thomas Goggins, of Green Bay, Wis.; and son Nicholas K. Goggins (Nick) and his wife Christine, of Quincy, Ill.
He grew up in Quincy, Ill., and attended St. Boniface Elementary, graduating from Notre Dame High School in 1957. He was a member of the Knights of Columbus and a member of St. Peter's Catholic Church.
Mick and his wife, Karen, moved to Eagle in the summer of 2005, where he began an eight-and-a-half-year career as the lead custodian of Brush Creek Elementary School, where he was known and loved by the kids as "Mr. Mick." He loved going to school every day, to be the first to turn the lights on and to stand guard at the corner to make sure the kids crossed safely. He was an avid University of Notre Dame fan and loved to remind his wife that he lived in the "banana belt."
There will be a celebration of life held Dec. 7 from noon to 2 p.m. at the Brush Creek Elementary School in Eagle. Note to all parents: This is for the kids, and our family would like to encourage you to bring them to the celebration. In addition, a memorial service will be held in the spring of 2014 in Quincy, Ill. — date and time to be announced.
In lieu of flowers, please send donations to Home, Health and Hospice of the Valley: 320 Beard Creek Road, P.O. Box 1474 Edwards, CO 81632.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Obituaries
- Vail Daily obituary: Britton John Green, April 1, 1985, to July 15, 2017
- Vail Daily obituary: Michael Toughill memorial service notice
- Vail Daily obituary: Tracie Lee Johnson
- Vail Daily obituary: Michael Edmund Toughill, March 30, 1946, to July 15, 2017
- Vail Daily obituary: James (Jimmie) Benjamin Cline
- Eagle man allegedly tried to beat to death female bartender at closing time
- Outpouring of support begins for Eagle bartender Dita Richterova
- Vail Daily letter: Response to: ‘Political sign inappropriate for Vail parade’
- The town of Vail looks at revising, tightening its rent-by-owner regulations
- Locals searching for dog that fled head-on crash on Vail Pass Saturday