Vail Daily obituary: Bessie M. Lucero, 1929-2013
August 1, 2013
Bessie M. Lucero, 84 of Minturn since 1958, passed away on Monday in Leadville. She was born on May 5, 1929, to Ignacio and Petra (Montoya) Gonzales in Santa Rosa, N.M. She married Tony Lucero on March 29, 1954, in La Junta. They were married 59 years.
Bessie owned and operated Lucero's Store in Minturn with her husband for 30 years. She loved her community and was known as a very generous and lovely lady. She was a member of St. Patrick Catholic Church of Minturn, and spent many hours volunteering at the church. She was a hard worker. Bessie had many friends in Minturn and loved spending time with them and especially enjoyed her senior lunches with her friends. She also enjoyed shopping, cooking, dancing, gambling, going to Denver, going out to eat, her cup of coffee and watching her favorite T.V. show, "The Golden Girls." She loved her family and was a wonderful wife, mother, grandmother, aunt and homemaker.
Bessie is survived by her husband, Tony Lucero, of Minturn; daughters Loretta Lucero-Calvert and husband Rick, of Leadville, and Jeannie Lucero, of Minturn; son James Lucero and wife Stephanie, of Gypsum; grandchildren Eric Trujillo, of Minturn, Demequa Lucero and Luis Benavides, of Minturn, Skye Calvert and Ricky Calvert, of Leadville, and Ciarra Lujan, Donovan Gerald Lujan and Diondra Lujan, of Minturn; great-grandchildren Cynthia Marie Benavides, of Minturn and Heiden Calvert, of Leadville; niece Belinda Pena and husband George, of Gypsum and nephew Leo Vasquez and wife Della, of Minturn. She was preceded in death by her parents, son Gerald Lucero, sister Alice Vasquez and eight brothers.
A visitation will be held from 6-7 p.m. Friday at St. Patrick Catholic Church in Minturn with a rosary service to follow at 7 p.m. A mass of Christian burial will be held at 10 a.m. on Saturday at St. Patrick Catholic Church with Rev. Father James Baird as celebrant. Burial will be at Riverview Cemetery in Minturn with a reception to follow at the St. Patrick Catholic Church Spirit Center. Bailey-Kent Funeral Home of Leadville is assisting the family with arrangements. To send a condolence to the family, please visit http://www.baileykentfuneralhome.com.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Vail Daily obituary: Eric Rosenquist, June 7, 1959, to May 18, 2017
- Vail Daily obituary: Ann-Margret Eklund, April 16, 2017
- Vail Daily obituary: Bradley Chandler Post, March 22, 1950, to May 14, 2017
- Vail Daily obituary: Carmen Rosalie Morris, Dec. 18, 1928, to April 18, 2017
- Vail Daily obituary: Ingrid Rittner
- Eagle, homeowner team up on grant request to tear down Broadway house
- American Airlines will have daily air service from Dallas to Eagle County
- School board says no to Walking Mountains, yes to $510K scholastic app
- Alleged internet predator arrested, jailed for sex with 13-year-old girl
- Hovey & Harrison opening in Edwards, offering meal subscriptions