Vail Daily obituary: Daniel Rossi, 1961-2013
April 11, 2013
Danny Joseph Rossi passed away on March 14 in Davie, Fla.
He was born in General Rose Memorial Hospital in Denver on March 23, 1961. Danny and his family moved to Vail in the fall of 1969 when his father Tony receive a job offer to be the superviser of the Upper Eagle Valley Water and Sanitation District. He attended grade school when it was located above the police station and the old hospital. Danny graduated from Battle Mountain High School in 1979, where he was very popular and loved by everyone. He loved to play guitar and formed a high school band with his friends. They played many hours in his room above the garage at his parents’ house in East Vail. This became the favorite high school hangout. Danny loved the mountains and everything they had to offer including skiing, camping, hiking, mountain biking and photoghaphy. Some of our most cherished moments are the times we all spent doing the things he loved with him. He worked at the Camera shop, Cyrano’s and Charlie’s Gondola ski shop before moving to Florida in 1993.
In Florida, Danny got married to Mara Gottlieb and had a son named Billy born on April 29,1999. He attended Johnson and Wales Culinary University, where he obtained an associate’s degree in culinary arts. He also had an associate’s degree in commercial arts. Danny worked many years as a chef and a freelance commercial artist, although his love for skiing brought him back to working in a ski shop, He was the manager of the ski department at Peter Glenn Sports in Florida. Danny was a loving and devoted father and treasured hanging out with his son and teaching him to play the guitar. He’ll be missed more than words can say. He may be gone, but his memory will live on in our hearts forever. There will be a celebration of Danny’s life in Vail this summer for all his friends – date and location to be announced.
He was preceded in death by his father, Anthony Rossi.
He is survived by his son, Billy Rossi, of Florida; his mother, Katherine Rossi, of Longmont; his brothers, Steve Rossi (and his wife, Nancy), of Berthoud, and Ken Rossi, of Vail; his sisters, Teri Rossi, of Vail, and Carol Rossi, of Vail; and his ex-wife Mara Butera, of Florida.
A rosary will be held Monday at 6 p.m. at the Ahlberg Funeral Chapel located on 326 Terry St. in Longmont. A memorial service will be held Tuesday at 10 a.m., at the Saint John the Baptist Catholic Church on 323 Collyer St. in Longmont, located by the Immaculate Heart of Mary Chapel.
In lieu of flowers, consider a donation to American Diabetes Association. Go to donations.diabetes.org.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Obituaries
- Vail Daily obituary: Britton John Green, April 1, 1985, to July 15, 2017
- Vail Daily obituary: Michael Toughill memorial service notice
- Vail Daily obituary: Tracie Lee Johnson
- Vail Daily obituary: Michael Edmund Toughill, March 30, 1946, to July 15, 2017
- Vail Daily obituary: James (Jimmie) Benjamin Cline
- Eagle man allegedly tried to beat to death female bartender at closing time
- Outpouring of support begins for Eagle bartender Dita Richterova
- Vail Daily letter: Response to: ‘Political sign inappropriate for Vail parade’
- The town of Vail looks at revising, tightening its rent-by-owner regulations
- Locals searching for dog that fled head-on crash on Vail Pass Saturday