Vail Daily obituary: Douglas Charles "Blues" Voisard, 1949-2012
December 13, 2012
Born Dec. 12, 1949, passed away Sunday. He would have turned 63 on 12/12/12.
Blues was a gentle giant and was loved by so many people in Vail and around the world. He had a special, giving way with all that he met along his journeys. Blues always gave a helping hand to anyone who asked, most recently to children in Nepal where he completed a journey with fellow climber and dear friend Brad Johnson. They completed a trek and summit of Ama Deblam and climbed many peaks in the Peruvian Andies. Blues was an accomplished ice and rock climber, a world-class speed skier, and a world-class kayaker who could be found on Class V rivers around the world. He was an avid mountain and road biker and an accomplished surfer, having surfed extensively in California, Maui, the North Shore famous pipeline, and throughout Costa Rica.
His early life, which contained such iconic memories as attendance at Woodstock and a stint working at Alice’s Restaurant, led him to Vail and work at many of Vail’s finest restaurants, becoming an icon in his own right.
Blues’ perpetual need for adventure and quest for the perfect deep powder, wave or summit were what he lived for. If ever anyone lived their life with a seeking to fulfill their dreams, it was Blues. His love for freedom and the open air led him on many cross-country bicycle and motorcycle journeys and caused him to touch the hearts of many people along the way.
Blues is survived by his two sisters, Patricia Voisard and Josette Jones; his niece, Sarah Jones Fairchild; his nephew, Dale Fullerton; and two grand-nephews, Dylan and Owen Fullerton.
Please join us in remembering his extraordinary life.
On Friday, there will be calling hours from 6-7:30 p.m. at the Everett Family Mortuary Home in Gypsum (305 McGregor St.).
On Saturday, Mass will be given at 2 p.m. at St. Patrick’s in Minturn. A memorial and stories about Blues will be from 3-5 p.m. at the Donovan Pavilion in Vail. A wake and toast to his life immediately following the memorial will be at Route 6 Cafe in Eagle-Vail
We invite all who knew him or were touched by him to join us in celebrating his life.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Obituary: The life of the one and only Kurt Keltner
- Obituary: Mrs. Clara A. Valencia, Aug. 27, 1936, to Sept. 11, 2017
- Obituary: Perfecto C. Rivera, March 28, 1931, to Sept. 4, 2017
- Obituary: Elisa A. Haskins, Feb. 23, 1963, to Sept. 4, 2017
- Obituary: Michael ‘Mike’ D. Lujan, Aug. 20 1958 – Sept. 6, 2017
- Eagle County Sheriff’s Office: Man arrested after report of masturbation in Miller Ranch Open Space in Edwards
- American Airlines to start all-year, daily service from Dallas-Fort Worth to Eagle County’s airport
- Speed limits on I-70 through Glenwood Canyon could go as low as 30 mph with new technology
- Relatives identify Fort Collins family killed in plane crash north of Glenwood Springs
- After 44 surgeries and an amputation, Marines veteran Sgt. Kirstie Ennis given a new Glenwood Springs home